John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

My iMac won't start up after it was accidentally unplugged. Now it ends at the Apple

Customer Question

My iMac won't start up after it was accidentally unplugged. Now it ends at the Apple icon and gear (wheel), then a blue screen with alternating dark and light blue colour appears together with the spinning wheel which turns on and off as the blue colour changes between the two shades. I've tried rebooting from safe mode and none of it has worked. Please help...
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for your question. I can not offer telephone support at this time but would be glad to assist you with your issue. If you'd like to continue, can you tell me the version of OS X installed on your iMac? Thanks,John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
10.6.8
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Great, thanks. Do you have your original OS X 10.6 install disc available for troubleshooting purposes? John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't seem to find it :(
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, we can try something else first to see if it helps... Please try the following. If you have any questions, just let me know. 1) Restart your Mac and hold the COMMAND and S keys together as soon as you hear the the start up chime. When the screen goes black and you start seeing text appear on screen, let go of the keys. 2) After a short period of time you will land at a command prompt (:/root#). At the command-line prompt, type: /sbin/fsck -fy and press Return.- - -“fsck” is a file system checker. It will run through a battery of tests, looking at different aspects of your file system. When it's done, it will normally produce one of two messages a) "The volume (name of your hard drive) appears to be OK If it states the above, then your drive is fine and you can simply type "reboot" at the prompt and press Return to restart your Mac and boot back to the Desktop. b) If fsck found any errors, it may have tried to correct them and will display this message: --FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED-- If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed at the beginning: /sbin/fsck -fy and Press Return. Keep repeating this until it reports your drive is OK. If by some reason you need to do the above more than 5 times, this indicates a more serious issue. At the very least, the hard drive needs to be formatted and OS X should be re-installed. However, assuming everything goes okay, type 'reboot' at the prompt and then press Return. Once it has finished restarting you should be back at the desktop. hopefully.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Cmd + S start up mode is not working. It is still continuing to the alternating blue blue screen with spinning wheel.
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, try it once more, this time by pressing and holding them before the chime sounds if you can. Continue holding until you see the Apple logo. John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same issue....and I've noticed a tiny white square appearing in the top left hand corner of the blue screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tiny white square was appearing when I was pressing the Cmd + S keys
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, let's try this; Restart your Mac As soon as you hear the Startup chime, press and hold the SHIFT key Continue to hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator. Then, let go of the Shift key and let it boot to the Desktop (it may take longer than usual so please be patient). If it manages to boot to the desktop, restart once more and let it boot normally. John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I release the Shift key, the Apple logo and progress indicator continue to show and then the screen turns to the alternating dark and light blue color with the spinning wheel
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that's unfortunate. Let's try one more... Restart the Mac As soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the following keys; COMMAND, OPTION, P, R Hold them until you hear the chime a second time and then release the keys and allow the Mac to boot normally. John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same result
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Alright, sadly without the OS X install disc we are at the end of the road where diagnostics are concerned. I believe your file system on the internal hard drive is corrupted and will need to be repaired. It seems that it is too damaged to attempt repair without the install disc. If you can find it, you can do the following to check/repair the file system; Insert the OS X install CD. Restart the computer and as soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the "C" key to boot from the disc. You can release the "C" when you see the Apple logo and progress indicator. Choose your language and click to continue. When you are sitting at the Introductory Installer screen (DO NOT INSTALL), go up to "Utilities" in the menubar and choose Disk Utility. In the left hand sidebar, choose your Mac's hard drive (usually "Macintosh HD"). On the right hand side of the page, click "Repair Disk" If it finds errors, repeat the process until it reports the drive is OK. Next, click "Repair Disk Permissions" Once the process has completed, choose “Disk Utility” > “Quit Disk Utility” in the menu bar at the top of the display. Then, restart your Mac. John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've managed to find the Installation Discs which are two? Disk 1 and Disk 2. Installed Disc 1 and the same result is persisting...and now the disk won't eject.
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Restart the Mac and immediately press and hold the OPTION key on the keyboard. Continue to hold it until you see the boot menu. You should see "Macintosh HD" listed, as well as the OS X Install disc. Choose the OS X Install disc to boot from it. After you see the Apple logo and progress indicator, choose your language and click to continue. When you are sitting at the Introductory Installer screen (DO NOT INSTALL), go up to "Utilities" in the menubar and choose Disk Utility. In the left hand sidebar, choose your Mac's hard drive (usually "Macintosh HD"). On the right hand side of the page, click "Repair Disk" If it finds errors, repeat the process until it reports the drive is OK. Next, click "Repair Disk Permissions" Once the process has completed, choose “Disk Utility” > “Quit Disk Utility” in the menu bar at the top of the display. Then, restart your Mac. John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not worked either
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Which part? John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Option key has done nothing. Still progressing to blue screen
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Is your keyboard wired or wireless? John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wired
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you reckon?
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, to confirm; Are you pressing and holding option key from the moment of restart and continuing to hold it for at least 10-20 seconds? John