Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My keyboard on my Mac will not work so I can't log in

Customer Question

Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
What is the exact error you are getting ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My keyboard will not come on..I restarted my computer and at the bottom of the login it says to restart or shutdown.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Is there any way to get a USB keyboard to check ? That will help us to move to the right direction
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have another keyboard
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Can you get one ? You can borrow one from your friends or neighbour. Any USB wired keyboard will work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't want to have you call for $20
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
It is ok. You don't have to call. We can continue here.
Can you get a wired keyboard ? You can borrow one from your friends or neighbour. Any USB wired keyboard will work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no one near y with a wired keyboard I cN use
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Lets try some troubleshooting. Restart your Mac and immediately hold down Command and S keys for 20 seconds and does it boot into any special screen ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The line under the Apple did not fill in and then the medallions came up and the bottom says sleep, restart and shut down
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Turn it off by holding down the Power button for 10 seconds. Restart and immediately hold down Command,Option P and R keys at the same time for 5 seconds and do you hear the startup sound for 2 or 3 times ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean? Shut off and restart 3 times
I did it once with the same results
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
No. Shut it down by holding down the Power button for 10 seconds.
Then turn on and immediately hold down Command, Option, P and R keys on the keyboard for 5 seconds and you will hear the boing sound for 2 or 3 times instead of one when you hold down these keys . Do you hear that ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only heard it once
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
That means the keyboard is not working. You have to buy a new USB keyboard and we need it to troubleshoot further. You can buy any USB keyboard (any cheap one will work with your Mac) and then we can pair the old keyboard. Can you buy one ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am just go in to go to the store and buy one.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
You don't need to buy a costly one. Any cheap USB keyboard will work with your Mac. Once you get the keyboard, please let me know and we can pair the old keyboard manually.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What does "pair the old one" mean
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Pair means re-establishing the wireless connection of keyboard with your Mac.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I let you know?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Add a bookmark of this page or add this page to your favorites, so you can get back to me later via that bookmark. We need a working keyboard to troubleshoot your Mac or identify the problem.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I'm just checking. Did you buy a new keyboard ?