Michelle
Michelle, Mac Technician
Experience:  Apple Computers and Mobile support with 12 years of exp.
70409726

I have multiple accounts on my mac and I can log in to all

Customer Question

I have multiple accounts on my mac and I can log in to all of them except the main account. It will accept the password, flash a blue screen, and then it will go back to the log in screen only the accounts aren't there anymore. So you have to turn off the computer and back on again to log in to another account.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Hi, and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am excited to get started with you.
From what you are describing, it appears there may be an issue with the operating system itself and may need to be re-installed. Before you proceed to reinstall your OS, there are a few troubleshooting steps to take first. Before we start, I will need to know what operating system you are running so I can guide you to the proper solution.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
If you are running 10.7 of higher, Please follow these steps in orderStep One: Reboot into Safe mode 1. Shut down your Mac and restart while pressing and holding down the Shift Key. Continue to hold down the shift key until the apple logo with a progress bar appears. Booting into safe mode does take a little longer to load.2. Once you mac has booted into safe mode, try logging into the troubled account. If it logs in successfully, click on the Apple logo in the upper left corner and choose System Preferences and Select User & Groups. At the top, click on Login Items. If there are any programs listed, remove all of them. (Select them and click on the minus sign)3. Restart your Mac normally and try to log in againIf your issue persist, proceed to Step 2 Step Two: Repair Disk and Disk Permissions 1. Shut down your mac and power it back on again while pressing and holding Command+ R keys. Continue to hold down both keys until the apple logo appears. It will then boot into the recovery disk partition.2. Once loaded, select Disk Utility 3. In the left column, select Macintosh HD (the second hard drive) then choose Repair Disk Permissions. Once it is done, choose to Repair Disk4. After Disk utility has repaired permissions and the disk, restart your Computer and try to log on.If your issue still persist, you will need to re-install your operating system. Step Three: Re-install your Operating systemThis will not erase any of your data1. Shut down your mac and power it back on again while pressing and holding Command+ R keys. Continue to hold down both keys until the apple logo appears. It will then boot into the recovery disk partition.2.Once loaded, select Re-install Mac OS X and follow the onscreen instructionsPlease let me know if you have any difficulties with any of the above instructions so that I can provide some clarity.