Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have a MAC laptop, OS X Yosemite, and am trying to install

Customer Question

I have a MAC laptop, OS X Yosemite, and am trying to install my Samsung DVD writer, Model 218GN. It used to work with my Apple Desktop, but it won't work on the laptop. Do I need to install a separate driver first? Another problem??
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
You don't need any drivers. These devices are plug & play and the drivers are already there on your OS X.
Remember your Mac will only show if there is any disc inside it. Did you try that ?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
First off I'd suggest you to try another USB cable even if the cable is working on your other Mac. If you don't have another cable, then you have to buy one. The cable you need is the 'Mini USB' cable. These cables are very cheap and you can get it for less than $5
Now we do some hardware resets on your Mac.
First reset the System Management Controller of your Mac. Do these steps using your inbuilt keyboard. Follow the steps below;
Turn off your Mac.
Connect it to power outlet.
On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
Turn on the computer.
Then reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac. Follow the steps below;
Turn off your Mac.
Turn on the computer and immediately press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys at the same time.
Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for two or three times.
Release the keys and let the Mac bootup.
Then click on Finder menu and select Preferences. Under General make sure CD/Drives are checked. Also, click on Siderbar and enable CD/DVD Drives.
Then connect the DVD Drive to your Mac and see if it recognize it or not. Make sure you put a disc in it.
Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, I'm just checking. How is it going ?
If it still not working, please let me know and I have a few more troubleshooting steps to try.