Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

My name is***** have a problem with wi-fi printing

Customer Question

Hello, my name is***** have a problem with wi-fi printing from my MacBook Air (OS X Yosemite v. 10.10.4)- until last week, I was using several wireless printers (Canon MG6200, Epson L355, Xerox Workcentre 6015NI, Olivetti (actually generic Minolta bizhub 25C). Earlier this week, I had to replace the modem/router - wifi settings remained unchanged. I access all the printers also from my laptop (Windows 7), they all work fine. When I try to add printers in System Preferences / Printers and Scanners; Bonjour finds them all, lets me install the drivers etc. but the printers do not work afterwards: MacBook does not connect to them, neither printing nor utilities do work. Can you help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer.
Thank you for your question. I will do my best to assist you.
Are you able to ping them through terminal on the mac?
Optional Remote Connect Service - Quick Resolution
Would you like me to remotely connect to your computer and fix the issue - The remote service will be an additional service for $39 but will allow me direct access to work on your issue and fix it (while you watch on your screen). If you need remote service, reply with the words "i want remote"
If you do not need the remote service, then simply provide me the requested information above. If you need remote service reply me with the words "i want remote".
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello, many thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I have to leave my office now and will be back in about 5 hours. I'll try to manage without remote service, just let me know how to ping the printers.

Best regards,

Jiri

You need to login to your router to view dhcp list and identify which ips are for printers, or print the test report from the printers (refer to manual) which should include IP address.
Then, via the terminal which can be found in utilities, initiate this command:
ping -t ip.address where ip.address is replaced by the ip address.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am back at my computer.

I have just tried to ping one of the printers - what message am I expected to get back? This is what I got:

Last login: Fri Jul 3 21:14:47 on ttys000

JIRI-MacBook-Air:~ klicek$ ping -t 192.168.1.115

usage: ping [-AaDdfnoQqRrv] [-b boundif] [-c count] [-G sweepmaxsize]

[-g sweepminsize] [-h sweepincrsize] [-i wait] [−k trafficclass]

[-l preload] [-M mask | time] [-m ttl] [-p pattern]

[-S src_addr] [-s packetsize] [-t timeout][-W waittime] [-z tos]

host

ping [-AaDdfLnoQqRrv] [-b boundif] [-c count] [-I iface] [-i wait]

[−k trafficclass] [-l preload] [-M mask | time] [-m ttl] [-p pattern] [-S src_addr]

[-s packetsize] [-T ttl] [-t timeout] [-W waittime]

[-z tos] mcast-group

JIRI-MacBook-Air:~ klicek$

Thanks,

Jiri

type
ping 192.168.1.115
and tell me what does it says?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It says:

Last login: Fri Jul 3 21:16:19 on ttys000

JIRI-MacBook-Air:~ klicek$ ping 192.168.1.115

PING 192.168.1.115 (192.168.1.115): 56 data bytes

Request timeout for icmp_seq 0

Request timeout for icmp_seq 1

Request timeout for icmp_seq 2

Request timeout for icmp_seq 3

Request timeout for icmp_seq 4

Request timeout for icmp_seq 5

Request timeout for icmp_seq 6

Request timeout for icmp_seq 7

(and it is counting even now - beimg at icmp_seq 230)

Jiri
This tells, that the macbook cannot speak to this printer on .115.
Can you reconnect this printer to the wireless router and then check what the new ip address is and then ping it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have reconnected the printer and got the same ip address. I vaguely remember the ip addresses of our printers are fixed - nevertheless, my Macbook worked well with them until recently and the Windows machine has been (and is) communicating with all the printers on their ip addresses as well.

Jiri

You stated that you changed modem/router; if these ips were not static then they must also have been changed. Can you get the exact IP address from the DHCP list and then ping it? Whether it adds or not, the first question is why it cannot ping. If you check them on the DHCP list it will tell us whether they are connected or not. If you want i can remotely connect and troubleshoot this directly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure how exactly to do it - I should explain that the modem/router that had to be replaced was a dsl modem to which three other routers are attached. These attached routers ("making" the wifi to which the printers are connected) were not replaced and remain unchanged.

Jiri

The issue requires troubleshooting remotely because of the network scenario, for which i do not have any ideas until i see it, so i will opt out and open the question to other experts who may be able to assist in the question/answer mode.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

All right then. Is it ok to continue with the communication tomorrow? It is getting late here and I'll have to leave the office for the night.

Jiri

Yes, the question will stay open and when the expert responds you will be notified by e-mail. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, are there some other suggestions as to what I could do - the problem is as unsolved as before. Added on August 18th, i.e. after more than a month - is this really how Justanswer works?