Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Last year, plugging in my digital camera to my MacBook Pro caused iPho

Customer Question

last year, plugging in my digital camera to my MacBook Pro caused iPhoto to open and suggest downloading photos. Now, nothing. Currently using OS10.9.5 and iPhoto 9.5.1 (And do have iphoto preferences set to open iPhoto when camera plugged in) (and, camera opens iPhoto on my old MacBook OS 10.5.8, iPhoto '08 7.1.5)
Category: Mac
Expert:  Viet - Mac Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Thank you for your question. I am a licensed computer professional with over ten years of experience, and I will be assisting you today.
I'm sorry about the issue. What's the model of your camera?
So when you plug in the camera, it does not show on the Desktop screen, or in Finder right?
Is the camera currently working with the old computer?
Does your MacBook Pro have a memory card slot in it?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Camera is an older - - Olympus, Camedia C-3030. Camera doesn't show on desk top or in finder. camera works with old Mac. MacBook Pro does have memory slot but won't fit the "old" SmartMedia card.
Did you update your Mac OS X version since last year? Do you remember the Mac OS X version on the Macbook Pro previously? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have not updated to Yosemite. I don't think I have upgraded since purchase.
I mean, did it come with 10.6, 10.7, 10.8, or 10.9 previously? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe it came with 10.9.5 (see original Question)
Sorry, I know in your original question, you said "Currently using OS10.9.5", but I'm not sure about the previous version. This is a very old camera, so it's not compatible with newer Mac OS X version. Can you get a USB memory card reader? And/or transfer photos from old computer to new computer with a USB drive? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was compatible - - I may have upgraded iPhoto, can't remember. But camera did download to the new Mac, OS 10.9.5 less than a year ago. your suggestions are a large work-a-round. I think I will try some other things.
Sorry, so you are sure the Mac OS X version was 10.9 last year? Did you try all the USB ports on the Macbook Pro? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, tried all USB ports, didn't upgrade OS in last year.
I'm sorry, this camera is about 15 years old, so I don't think it's compatible. Can you test connecting this camera to another computer with Mac OS X 10.9 (and/or 10.10)?
When you are available, please reply back at the box below to continue. Thank you,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not satisfied with solutions offered - - you may have advised how I could revert to the previous version of iPhoto, as I did "upgrade" to 9.5.1 back on 7/3/14 when I was invited to.
I'm sorry, I think it's not the issue with iphoto version, it's the mac os x version, can you test the camera on another mac os 10.9 or 10.10? Let me open this issue to other experts for any other suggestion. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I thought I ended this dialog already. Lets quit. Yes I'm not satisfied.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
The Olympus viewer is supposed to work with that system: http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/software?utm_source=web&utm_medium=redirect&utm_campaign=redirect_software Let me know