Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  6 years repairing macs and ipods and 3rd level tech support
28647879

I have a file folder with a "?" in it and it is flashing

Customer Question

Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
It may be your hard drive has failed. Try this: Restart the computer and immediately hold the Shift key until you see the Apple Logo. This is called Safe Boot and it will attempt repairs. If you get to the login screen put in your user/pass then when it boots up, restart the normal way. Let me know what happens after.
If it will not shut down just hold the Power button for about 10 seconds then start up and hold the Shift just as described.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I started up the computer with the shift key held down and that resulted in the same white screen with the file folder with a ? in the middle of it flashing. Do you have another suggestion?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Do you know what system version it was running? How old is it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mac X Tiger I think
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Oh in that case do you have the system install disk that came with it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I purchased it rebuilt / third party. Nothing but the power cord came with it and that has been replaced
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK I'm afraid it sounds like you hard drive has failed which is usually what that means with the question mark... it cannot find the start up drive.... if we had the system install disk to boot from we could tell for sure but I would say 99% positive it has failed and needs to be replaced. Sorry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
No problem good luck. If you are satisfied, please kindly Accept and provide an OK Rating - or Above or I don't get paid. Keep in mind you can always come back to this page at any time regarding this question. If we solved your problem, giving me high marks on the survey and / or bonuses are also GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!
Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 1 year ago.
Hello there! If you have another mac or pc I can remotely connect and fix your issue by helping you create a restore file.