Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

Hey, anyone there?I have reason been locked out of my retina

Customer Question

Hey, anyone there?
I have for some reason been locked out of my retina macbook.
The login page accepts my password ***** just "blinks back to the login page again, repeated attempts just bring me back to login.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today!
My apologies that no one responded to you sooner. One of our diligent moderators brought this question to my attention, and I wanted to reach out to you to see if you still needed help.
If you still need help, I have a question..
When you say no luck reinstalling mavericks.. Did you do a recovery install? Or an " erase and install " ?
Also, do you have critical files saved on your hard drive that you need. Or is the main issue you want to get the mac running again?
Im signing off my shift for the night soon, but I will be working the rest of this week and weekend.
I look forward to your reply,
Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dustin,
Thx for the reply...i had resigned to thinking i had been scammed! :)
I had rebooted holding the cmd + R keys to access recovery mode and reinstalled mavericks...which was sucessful, it just didnt fix the issue.
I have a time machine back up from couple of months back, but i'd prefer to see if i can fix the login issue without a hard reset if possible.
Appreciate your response
Rory
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Good morning Rory, ( or evening if your out in the Pacific areas, Australia, New Zealand ) Thank you for the explanation. Now, as far as resetting the password ***** recovery. When you made it to utilities, terminal, and typed in resetpassword ( all one word ) What happened?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was able to change my pword without issue. But again upon rboot enterin the new pword is accepted..but it just blinks back to the login screen.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
When y9ou attempted to change the password, after typing reset password. How many accounts did it show? Are we certain you changed the password ***** the correct user account? Also, for good measure, lets carry out a pram reset, a permissions repair and a disk repair. the permissions repair and disk repair can be completed from the recovery function, utilities, disk utility. The pram reset is as follows Shut down your Mac.Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. Turn on your Mac.Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.Release the keys. Once you have repaired permissions, repaired the disk, and reset your pram. Once all three are complete.. Try to enter your password ***** ( if it still blinks, shut down and start your mac in safe mode and then try to enter your password ) If you get stuck, run into any issues, or if none of these steps allow you to boot send a reply and I will assist you further as needed. I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent submitted below this answer when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.Dustin S.Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.