Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

Hey Travis, I'm Andrea, my MacBook Pro keeps restarting when

Customer Question

Hey Travis, I'm Andrea, my MacBook Pro keeps restarting when using iWeb any idea how to fix this?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. Do you want to continue waiting for Travis, or do you want to continue now? EIther way, please check your mac osx version and send it back to us. Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply. Thank you, *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dustin, thank you for getting back to me and I don't mind Travis is not available. I have MacBook Pro mid 2010 15inch, OS 10.10.3, 2.66GHz i7 Intel processor, 4Gb RaM, 288 Intel & NViDIA GeForce GT330m 512MB graphics card, 500gB disc with 472.29 GB disk space available - I just reinstalled OS
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
I just missed your reply last night.. I ended my shift at 11:45, about ten minutes before you replied. lets start with a repair.. Open your finder ( magnifying glass ) type in disk utility, and launch the disk utility application. On the left side of the disk utility window, click your mac hd, then at the lower right hand side, click repair permissions . Once it says permissions repair complete.. When the mac starts to turn back on, right after you hear the startup chime hold down the left shift key to go to safe mode. once in safe mode, test Iweb. Does it still crash your mac ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dustin,thanks for getting back to me and sorry for the delay, I'm in Australia...I have followed your instructions and it didn't fix the problem. It also stared crashing when running other apps i.e. During Skype video call
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Can you try something simple. Unplug your wireless router, and your cable or dsl modem from power.. Wait one minute. Plug them back in. next, shut down your mac. Then, start it and as soon as you hear the first chime, press and hold the left shift key till you hear the second chime. That should put your mac in safe mode. DO you still encounter the crashes in safe mode?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Safe mode isn't loading my fonts, so it doesn't display my site
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
How about skype video calling, can you make a test call and see if it crashes there? I understand your initial question was about Iweb and I wont forget that.. However, since you are experincing crashes using other programs, theres most likely a larger issue at play here that we need to fix in order to fix the iweb issue. Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not crashing but it's awfully slow, keeps connecting then aborts the call
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Understood. Lets try this next. while in safe mode remove all startup items. http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/how_remove_startup_items_os_x Then restart and let the mac boot normally, and test. Iweb still crashing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have any startup items active, I erased my HD and did full reinstall before I contacted you, in the hope of fixing the crashing issue
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Hmmm.. Have you tried a pram reset? Or updated the SMC or EFI firmware yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nope...how do I go about that?

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Heres how to reset the pram. Shut down your Mac.Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. Turn on your Mac.Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.Release the keys.After resetting NVRAM, you may need to reconfigure settings for speaker volume, screen resolution, startup disk selection, and time zone information. And as far as updating the SMc and EFI.. This page will show you how to find out the info needed to pick the right smc and efi https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201518 Make sure you download and install the smc and efi that matches your exact model.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It keeps restarting when I down commd/option/ O &R
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
You typed out command , option, O and R Its supposed to be P and R if thats what you used. Then after the restart. Lets continue here.. This page will show you how to find out the info needed to pick the right smc and efi https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201518 Make sure you download and install the smc and efi that matches your exact model.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah sorry about the typo before...so I found the right versions but it's telling me that this software isn't supported on my system
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
You may already have newest firmware & smc This page describes how you can check.. Just to be sure. https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT202048 Also, I believe I sent you the US page before. Its shouldn't make a difference, but here is the AU page. https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201518
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yep all up to date...I'm going to sign out for tonight...thanks for all the effort, much appreciated. please let me know if you think of something. Cheers

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Weve covered our foundations pretty well.. Hope you enjoy your evening / rest Will send a reply tonight ( in your morning ) with further suggestions. D.S