Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I can't remember my administrator password. My Mac

Customer Question

I can't remember my administrator password.
My Mac needs desperate updates.
How can I change the password ***** allow for the updates?
Fiona
Australia
Category: Mac
Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 1 year ago.
Hello there! Please follow the steps below to reset your password
To boot in Recovery system, press Command and R keys in boot and hold the keys until you see the Apple icon. If you have a Mac with Internet Recovery, read > http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718. If your Mac has got a wireless keyboard, hold them when you hear the startup sound
When it starts, select Utilities > Terminal, and type:
resetpassword
Press your user and type your new password ***** enter both times. Finally, type reboot and hit enter. Then try to log in and use your password.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Please go to the Apple logo at the upper left of your computer screen to About This Mac and give me this information:
The exact system Version (listed right under Mac OS X)
Processor
Memory
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Johnny, I have not attempted to reset the password ***** you instructed yet. Can you reset for me remotely and what is the cost to do so? Fiona
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Please go to the Apple logo at the upper left of your computer screen to About This Mac and give me this information: The exact system Version (listed right under Mac OS X) Processor Memory