John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

I am having trouble syncing all of my devices via iCloud. I

Customer Question

I am having trouble syncing all of my devices via iCloud. I have an iMac, MacBook Air, iPhone and iPad and they all have different data on them -- even though they all appear to be signed in to iCloud. In iMessage, for example, i can see two recent conversations
on all of the devices. But there are other conversations that appear on some and not others. Same thing with the little icons that appear next to them in iMessage. They show up in some and not others. If I enter or edit a phone number on my iMac using Contacts,
it will not always sync it to all my other devices. As far as I can tell I am signed in to my account***@******.*** on all of the devices. I can receive my @mac.com email on all devices without any problem, Can this confusion be because the system has since
(without me asking) created***@******.*** and***@******.*** addresses as well? Would love to straighten this out once and for all.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 1 year ago.
Hello there! My name is***** and I will be assisting you today.
log in with your apple id on your computer under "manage you apple id"
copy the link below and select manage id.
make sure that the only email there is your @mac.com email.
https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/109/wa/directToSignIn ?wosid=kJfXByJtbbWm6x946TXx4w&localang=en_US
. When your logged in click at "edit" after "Apple ID and primary email address". Change your email address (if you don´t have another email address, you have to get one). When you have changed your email address you will receive a confirmation email to the your new email address, click on the link "confirm now" in the email. After this step, log out from your account and then log in again to make sure that i works. Next step is to go to www.icloud.com, and try your new account there as well, if it works you can log out.
If everything works this far it's a good sign. Next step is to log in your apple id account on your computer and change back to the email you had before the change, confirm the email you will receive. Log out from your account and log in again to make sure that it works. After this step enter your apple id och password ***** your iphone and see if it works.
If this doesn't work you have to do a factory reset too and after this it will definetly work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wait, just so I understand you want me to switch it from being @mac.com to something else, like @yahoo.com?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't even see an option to do that. The @mac.com says it is "verified" and does not let me change it.
Sorry if that was confusing we want to make sure that @mac.com is the only email registered to your apple id. Sometimes the @icloud or @me will be registered and that will throw off the syncing process since icloud thinks its a different account.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says there is an "Alternate Apple ID" which is***@******.*** but I can't seem to change that either
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I now need to go back to my local computers and devices and make sure they are all set up the same?
Yes we need to make sure they are all using the @mac.com email. If not log them out then power cycle the devices ( turn off then on) and then log to icloud using your @mac.com email. At that point all your info should start syncing. Do this one at a time verifying that each device has the same account,contacts,events etc.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where do I go to do the first part of this task?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when I go to iCloud, it tells me that if I log out of iCloud all of my documents will be deleted from the computer
on your ipad/iphone we would go to the settings icon then click on icloud. Then select sign out. From your mac go to the apple icon and select system preferences. From here you will see an icloud icon click and select sign out. For pc click the start or windows icon and select control panel. Then click the icloud icon and select sign out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This does not seem to be doing anything. Even after I sign out of iCloud and delete all the data from my computer, the random messages in iMessage are still there. And they are still different on each device. I am noticing that many of the ones that are not synced properly are text messages coming from phone numbers as opposed to messages coming from other iMessage/email accounts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not see a place anywhere in iMessage to allow me to sync it with my cell phone number so that messages texted to that cell phone number show up in iMessage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you still there?
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
it appears your original expert has opted out for some reason. Do you still need assistance on this issue?
Thanks,