Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I restored my iMac and lost all the applications. I can go

Customer Question

I restored my iMac and lost all the applications. I can go online and download the updates, but apparently I have "only download from Apple Store" or something like that in my system preferences. The problem there is that I no longer have "system preferences." Any way I can bypass that?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today!
Before we get started,
Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.
Thank you,
Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, that does not open. I believe the version is OSX 10.5.7
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was able to download the OSX combo pack. I just can't get by the system preference settings.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Question. if you shut down the mac. Then, hold down the left shift key ( on the left side of the keyboard ) And start your mac while holding the left shift key.. Will that allow you to boot the mac, and if so. Can you get to the system preference settings now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now I'm having real problems trying to boot. Crashing and all kinds of stripes. And now that it has booted up, it still doesn't open "about this Mac" or "system preferences." I'm afraid I need to take it into the shop.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Question, when you restored your machine.. Did you do so from a disk, or a usb drive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did it from an external drive. I had forgotten that the applications folder had been empty for awhile, but I just used the dock or spotlight. Also, it could have been on "time machine", but apparently that's an app, too. I only have an alias.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
So you restore the mac from time machine itself? Or, you used an alternate backup / restore product?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used an alternate external drive. But I know that each stored dofferent things, so the apps could have been on the time machine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I restarted, and all went fine, but still no preferences.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Id suggest, you try a restore / reinstall through time machine itself. But most likely what you need to do is an archive and restore from the 10.5 Leopard install disk. ( if you are indeed running osc 10.5 ) Do you have a disk available to try an arhive and install?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Remember, Time Machine is an app, so we're back to ground zero. My original install disk is from 2010, and this operating system won't accept it. I would have a very hard time trying to find a Leopard install disk. Maybe I'll just give up and use this as a monitor for a Mac mini or laptop. ūüėď I think I've really done it this time. Thank you for trying, though.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Slipped my mind that you cant run any apps... If yourve been at this for a while and want to take a break, or have other obligations or matters to attend to. I completely understand. As far as the Mac is concerned though, I think there is still a bit of ground we can cover. For instance, we should be able to boot into single user mode by pressing command S during startup and enter a few commands in the terminal. Or, depending on what version of osx you have installed, booting with command R may allow us to get into the recovery function.. Theres several more feasible and useful options besides those. But the two above would be our best options currently.. Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I do need a break, and I have to leave to go out to dinner. I'll fool around with this later. Thank you.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Understood, I look forward to continuing to work on this with you later this evening / week, as time permits. Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I get back to you?
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
If you use the same web browser, and go to justanswer.com, it should sign you right back into your account here. Click my questions at the top right, and click on the title of this question and it will bring you back to our conversation. D.S
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thank you.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Not a problem, I'll keep an eye out for your future responses. Dustin S