Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

There my MacBook air is showing a blinking folder with question

Customer Question

Hi there my MacBook air is showing a blinking folder with question mark and my son has changed my password
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
The folder with question mark indicates that either the system files are corrupted or the hard drive has failed. This is a serious issue.
We can try some basic troubleshooting steps to identify and fix the problem.
First reset the PRAM and NVRAM of your Mac. Follow the steps below to reset the PRAM and NVRAM
Shut down your Mac
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.
Turn on the computer.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears and before the chime sound.
Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for two or three times.
Release the keys and let the Mac bootup.
If that didn't work, then restart your Mac and immediately hold down Shift key on your keyboard for 15 seconds and this will boot into Safe Mode. Did that work ?
Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting. Only rate the answer after the end of the session.