John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

I am having trouble with my iPhoto... my computer wanted to

Customer Question

I am having trouble with my iPhoto... my computer wanted to update my old iPhoto to the new iPhoto. Now my message is "preparing to import" and the "color wheel has been spinning since this morning? Something is definitely not right! I don't even know what to do next.
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hi! Can you tell me the exact version of OS X you are currently running, please? Click the Apple logo in the menu bar at the top left of the screen Select "About This Mac" In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says. Thanks,John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My wheel continues to spin so I can't click on the Apple logo
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
So the whole Mac is locked up and you can not click on anything anywhere at all? John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am writing you from my MacBook Pro right now
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that's not good. See if you can press Command-Option-Escape on the frozen Mac to bring up the Force Quit window. If so, what app is listed as being unresponsive? John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No luck. The spinning wheel continues
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it is definitely frozen
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, yes indeed that does seem to be the case. :-( Unfortunately you will have to force a power off in this case. Press and hold the power button until the unit shuts off, usually under 10 seconds or so. When the Mac powers back on, it may run a disk check which will cause it to take longer than usual to boot to the desktop. When it finally reaches the desktop, then please check the version number. John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did I lose our connection?
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Nope we are good. Please see above. :-) John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay... I tried the Command-Option-Escape and nothing happened. Was there something else I should be seeing "above"?
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I had sent a reply after that. Here is the text again; Ok, yes indeed that does seem to be the case. :-( Unfortunately you will have to force a power off in this case. Press and hold the power button until the unit shuts off, usually under 10 seconds or so. When the Mac powers back on, it may run a disk check which will cause it to take longer than usual to boot to the desktop. When it finally reaches the desktop, then please check the version number. John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, waiting for it to restart
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mac OS X
Version 10.7.5
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks! In the Finder, click the Go menu and choose Applications. Locate the iPhoto app and Control-Click or Right-Click on the icon and choose Get Info. What does it list for the version? John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
9.3
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks again. Restart iPhoto once more and see if it will complete the update. If not, Force Quit iPhoto if it is currently open or restart if required. Hold down the Command and Option keys on your keyboard and start iPhoto Keep the keys held down until you are prompted to rebuild the library A dialog will appear with rebuild options listed; Start with the first option. Click Repair or Rebuild The process may take a few minutes to complete. If that doesn’t work then repeat the process once again, this time choosing the 2nd option (and repeat for 3rd and 4th option until successful). If none of the prior options worked, you should next try rebuilding your iPhoto Library with the “iPhoto Library Manager“ available from here: http://www.fatcatsoftware.com/iplm/ You shouldn’t need to buy it, just use the trial version. 1. Download iPhoto Library Manager and launch. 2. Click on the Add Library button, navigate to your Home/Pictures folder and select your iPhoto Library. 3. Now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go up to the menu bar at the top of the screen and choose the Library > Rebuild Library menu option 4. In the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed. 5. Click on the Create button. Note: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments but not books, calendars or slideshows. The original library will be left untouched for further attempts at fixing the problem or in case the rebuilt library is not satisfactory. John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. I will try your suggestions. I have about 30,000 photos so it might take a while. I'm keeping my fingers crossed I will find all my events! Thanks for your help!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm worried because my events number (0) ! I had hundreds or thousands??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feel like my photos went into a new "iPhoto" There is a new colored icon... but I can't pull them up.
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, that's not good at all. Do you have photos still or are those missing as well?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think they are missing. I just had uploaded some new ones, I was asked if I wanted to update, I saw a new colored icon, but when I click on it it says.... Hold on, let me look at the message
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You have made changes to your photo library using a newer version of iPhoto. Do you want to quit and use the latest version of iPhoto, or do you want to create a new photo library? It only gives me the option to "Quit"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The first part of the message says "You can;t open your current photo library using this version of iPhoto.
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, it sounds like it is damaged. I recommend following the previous steps given to try and repair the library. John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you.
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome! Good luck. :-) John