Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I previously had iphoto and had photos on my imac taken with

Customer Question

I previously had iphoto and had photos on my imac taken with both my phone and a digital camera. It looks like when synced I can see all pictures on my phone. I since have upgraded to yosemiti and lost iphoto. I know have all pictures on my phone but when I try to import to photo on my imac it only shows photos taken with my iphone. I can still see all the photos on my phone but I cant get all of them to my mac.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
If you go to iCloud.com and sign in are your pix in the Photos section
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are a lot of pictures I do not want to pay for storage would rather back up on the computer
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I don't know what you mean if they are there just go to System Preferences on your Yosemite computer to / iCloud and turn on Photos sync
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if i do that it asks to upgrade and start charging me a fee for storage. I just want to get them on the computer and use the computer as a back up
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You don't have to purchase extra storage. If the pictures are there you already are using it, the free storage
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
If you want to just start a new Library and import what is there I can help you by remote.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have an appointment at 10, let me see if that first solution works if not you can fix remotely. Will be back in a few hours
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it just said icoud is full and no longer upgrading
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Right you will have to temporarily purchase space or make a new Library
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I don't understand how the photos that were not taken with the phone got on the phone without already being in your Photos Library. Are you sure they are not in the Photos Library?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'm back I turned icolud photo library on on my computer upgraded storage, i turned on icloud photo library on my phone(where pics are located) and it says: Photos synced from itunes will be removed Syncing photos via itunes is not supported when icloud photo library is turned on 2,098 photos will be removed. I have choice: remove photos or cancel
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
oK if you synced them using iTunes then they have to have been in the iPhoto Library originally which was converted to Photos Library so they should still be there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when i upgraded to yosemiti, iphoto is no longer available, so I cant open photos in iphoto, when i search the computer for "iphoto" i fend some recovered photos but not nearly what was there. I do see the photos on my phone. I need to get from phone to my mac. When I use photo (from yosemiti) it imports about a hundred of the new ones. But I can't even say most of the picts that are on the phone.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I really need to see what is happening.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you wont see whats happening photos are on phone
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You converted the wrong Library to Photos if your pictures are not there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are no other libraries to choose from. Is there any way to take from phone?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
So in your Pictures folder there is no other Library? Hold Option when opening Photos and create a new Library and sync that with iCloud to download what is there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see iPhoto library that's 9.83 g there is no way those are all in photo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Connect and see what you can do. iCloud is on so you can use that if need be
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You have to Accept the offer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to hold off I see its an additional 25.00
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Let me know what happens when you follow my various suggestions. I will be working on other questions...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could you let me know on previous comment about turning on icloud on my phone and removing photos. If i could at least get the photos on the cloud that would be good enough
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure what you mean?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to share photos from phone to icloud, this is message i get: i turned on icloud photo library on my phone(where pics are located) and it says: Photos synced from itunes will be removed Syncing photos via itunes is not supported when icloud photo library is turned on 2,098 photos will be removed. I have choice: remove photos or cancel
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Are those same photos at icloud.com in the Photos section?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
some are, but only a minimal amount
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
The thing is they were synced from your iPhoto using iTunes so they are somewhere on the computer. You can try this:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photo-transfer-app-easily/id365152940?mt=8