Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Mac Expert, 7+ years of experience in installation and trouble shooting of mac osx and apps
50064670

Trying to get my macbook pro to boot up past the grey screen.

Customer Question

trying to get my macbook pro to boot up past the grey screen. The apple logo shows up and line below starts up and then a few minutes late it goes away
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OS X Yosemite and the MacBook Pro is from 2011
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.
First safeboot your system by following below steps:
Be sure your Mac is shut down.
Press the power button.
Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key. The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple icon and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).
Wait while safe mode boots up. It will take a lot longer than regular OS X.
Log in (press shift-enter instead of enter after putting in your password ***** log in without login items.)
You are in safe mode
Safe mode will run disk repair, and ignores the cache of kernel extensions. If you can boot into safeboot mode without problem, please restart the system and boot normally.
If you're unable to start your Mac in Safe Boot mode, or your Mac starts in Safe Boot mode, but it won't start up normally, you can try the following:
Reset PRAM : http://macs.about.com/od/usingyourmac/qt/Reset-Pram.htm
Reset SMC : http://macs.about.com/od/usingyourmac/qt/Resetting-The-Smc-System-Management-Controller-On-Your-Mac.htm
Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the progress goes about half way and then disappears as well as the apple logo and then it's the grey screen again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
progress bar
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello?
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
Then you should try Internet Recovery option. You can start the internet recovery reinstall process from either a shutdown Mac, or by rebooting the Mac.
Immediately after hearing the Mac boot chime, hold down Command+Option+R keys ( *if you see the Apple logo you waited too long and need to reboot and try again)
OPTIONAL: You may or may not see an option to join a wi-fi network, this depends on whether the Mac can access any saved networks from OS X or not
When you see a spinning globe icon, Internet Recovery mode has been entered with a message saying it can take a while, a progress bar appears as the recovery functions are downloaded
When finished downloading, you’ll see the familiar “OS X Utilities” screen, choose “Reinstall OS X” to begin the re-installation process of the Mac operating system
Select the destination and complete the re-installation (or installation) of OS X as usual
You’ll notice the version of OS X that can be reinstalled this way is shown in the icon or listed under the “Reinstall OS X” option, and that version will match whatever version of OS X came preinstalled on the Mac. For example, if the Mac shipped with OS X Mavericks but is now running OS X Yosemite, then OS X Mavericks would be the version that reinstalls through the Internet Recovery reinstall process.
For Macs that do not currently have an operating system found or installed, the option will show as “Install OS X” rather than “Reinstall OS X”.
Regards
Jins
Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will this erase all of my files by re-installing?
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
No it will not erase your files and settings if you select Re Install option.
Regards
Jins