Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I have a iMac and a belkin thunderbolt 2 dock. I want to

Customer Question

Hi. I have a iMac and a belkin thunderbolt 2 dock. I want to connect my iMac using the USB connector and another two using the thunderbolt ports as my iMac does not have it. I have connected it all but the external hard drive only shows on the computers with the thunderbolts not mine with the USB connected. Would you know why?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Can you clarify I don't understand that??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I have 2 macs with thunderbolt and one with USB. I wanted to link them all to one SSD 1tb so bought a Samsung Evo Sata drive and bay with two thunderbolt links and a belkin thunderbolt 2 hub with USB ports but the ports don't seem to work as a network for the USB. Do I have to initialise something in the SSD drive. I have already using disk utility on the Mac.
Hope that helps.
Thanks. Tim.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You can only use the same drive on different machines by sharing it on a network not by direct connection like TB or USB those types of conenctions can only be one at a time. So basically sharing it on one Mac to the others over your network see here:

http://store.apple.com/us/question/answers/product/HH2F2ZM/A/can-two-computers-share-the-same-external-hard-drive/Q7FPUHYCHY4YUY7XX