Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics.
23511658

I have a mac book where the hard drive crashed and trying to

Customer Question

I have a mac book where the hard drive crashed and trying to install new one using snow leopard to load but won't load any suggestions
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
If the computer is compatible with the operating system, meaning that it has an Intel processor, then you should be able to boot from the operating system DVD, use the utilities to erase and format the disc, and then exit to continue the install. For example, to erase the hard drive before installing, choose Utilities -> Disk Utility from the first Installer screen after rebooting, and then manually erase the drive; you can then exit Disk Utility and proceed with installation.If it's not booting from the DVD, then it's possible that it's not detecting it or that the hardware itself is failed, or that it's not compatible with current versions of the operating system. For example, an old classic hardware environment would not support OS X. Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is installing but I've been at 29 minutes for over 4 hours and it's not doing anything....
You may want to try restarting the install. Is this the same hard drive those in a previously?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I bought a new one exact same brand as what was in there before. Came home install the hard drive third of the Skinner this is my third attempt of installing and it keeps getting stuck at 29 minutes and one fifth of the installing bar showing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a toshiba haas drive
When installing the operating system that your race and format the hard drive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you're asking me if I erased and formatted the new hard drive the answer is yes
Yes, that is exactly what I was asking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Is the hard drive the same size as the previous hard drive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is 1T
Do you know what model MacBook you have? Basically it's based on the year that it was manufactured.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2008
Okay the next thing I would try is resetting the system management bus.Use one of the following depending on whether in your notebook as removable battery.Shut down the computer.Plug in the MagSafe or USB-C power adapter to a power source and to your computer.On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.Press the power button to turn on the computer.With removable battery.Shut down the computer.Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer if it's connected.Remove the battery.Press and hold the power button for five seconds.Release the power button.Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.Press the power button to turn on the computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Has not helped.... Still the same
The problem could be either with something other than the hard drive, or with the DVD you're using for the installation. Those are the only two variables.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'll try something else
Let me know how you make out. I would appreciate a moment of your time to rate my level of service at your convenience. It will not affect our ability to communicate.