Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  6 years repairing macs and ipods and 3rd level tech support
28647879

My Macbook Pro 13-inch (Mid 2010) is frozen. Since my keyboard has

Customer Question

Hi, my Macbook Pro 13-inch (Mid 2010) is frozen. Since my keyboard has been coffee-spilled, the keyboard doesn't work so I can't turn it off with the power button. If I let the battery drain out and start it from the motherboard, the computer just revives it to that same state. Do you know if there's a way of shutting it down (or rebooting) to get it out of this state? Your help is much appreciated!
/Kris
Category: Mac
Expert:  sanguinesandeep replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am Sandy and I look forward to help you today with the best answer possible.
I',m sorry about the issue.
You need to first dry your macbook.
Please do the following:
A. Remove power cord and then remove battery.
B. Disassemble parts of the device to verify that it’s dry, and/or to use a hair dryer to finish the job and dismantle it as much as you can and then clean it.
C. Shake out any liquid as soon as the device is turned off.
Let it dry for 72 hours and then it must work fine.
I will work with you until it is fixed.
Please reply back to me by clicking "Reply to Expert"
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sandy,It was coffee-spilled over 2 months ago so liquid is no longer an issue. The keyboard got bypassed somehow by starting it the way I do (unscrewing the back and jump-starting it basically). I have already ordered a new keyboard, but ideally I need my computer to unfreeze before then if possible.
You need to the following to unfreeze your computer.
Open Activity Monitor to check what is eating up your system resources.
Force quit the frozen program.
Clean up some space on your hard drive.
Update your software and repair your hard disk.
In order to help you understand it and follow these steps properly, I'm providing you link to this page. It clearly explain these steps with screenshots.
(Copy and paste the link into address box)
http://www.wikihow.com/Stop-Your-Mac-from-Freezing-Up
Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, the activity monitor won't open and I've been trying to force quit programs, without luck. I also can't update or repair anything since it's frozen. I want to know if there's a way to force quit the computer without the power button?
Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 1 year ago.
Hello there! My name is***** and I will be assisting you today.
Choose Force Quit from the Apple menu, or press Command-Option-Esc. (this is similar to pressing Control-Alt-Delete on a PC).