John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

Why can't I open and install Adobe Flash player on my MacBook

Customer Question

Why can't I open and install Adobe Flash player on my MacBook Pro running OSX?
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hi! What problem(s) do you encounter when trying to download and install Flash? Thanks,John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will not open on my MacBook Pro running Windows OS X!
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Can you clarify, are you running Windows or OS X? John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Running OS X
Thanks
Randy
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** tell me the exact version of OS X you are currently running, please? Click the Apple logo in the menu bar at the top left of the screen Select "About This Mac" In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says. Thanks,John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OSX Yosemite version 10.10.3
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** have an older version of Flash installed currently? john
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Randy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You Still There?
Randy
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, Can you please download and run the following tool?http://www.etresoft.com/download/EtreCheck.zip It will collect information about your system for diagnostic purposes. Run the app once it has downloaded (you may skip the first screen where it asks to describe your problem and just click “Start EtreCheck). When it is finished collecting data, click "Copy report to clipboard" then click “Continue” and paste it back to me as a reply. Thanks,John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will do.
Thanks
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I'll be here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How Do I Get the report to you?
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Once you click "Copy report to clipboard" then click “Continue” you should be able to Ctrl-Click where you type your response to me and choose "paste" from the pop-up menu. John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
EtreCheck version: 2.2 (132)
Report generated 5/30/15, 4:48 PM
Download EtreCheck from http://etresoft.com/etrecheckClick the [Click for support] links for help with non-Apple products.
Click the [Click for details] links for more information about that line.Hardware Information: ℹ️
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) (Technical Specifications)
MacBook Pro - model: MacBookPro6,2
1 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5 CPU: 2-core
8 GB RAM Upgradeable
BANK 0/DIMM0
4 GB DDR3 1067 MHz ok
BANK 1/DIMM0
4 GB DDR3 1067 MHz ok
Bluetooth: Old - Handoff/Airdrop2 not supported
Wireless: en1: 802.11 a/b/g/n
Battery: Health = Normal - Cycle count = 132 - SN = W0013PR6RBX0AVideo Information: ℹ️
Intel HD Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M - VRAM: 256 MB
Color LCD 1440 x 900System Software: ℹ️
OS X 10.10.3 (14D136) - Time since boot: one day 1:43:20Disk Information: ℹ️
TOSHIBA MK3255GSXF disk0 : (320.07 GB)
EFI (disk0s1) : 210 MB
Recovery HD (disk0s3) [Recovery]: 650 MB
Macintosh HD (disk1) / : 318.84 GB (296.86 GB free)
Core Storage: disk0s2 319.21 GB OnlineMATSHITADVD-R UJ-898USB Information: ℹ️
Apple Inc. iPhone
Apple Inc. BRCM2070 Hub
Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller
Apple Inc. Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
Apple Internal Memory Card Reader
MLK wireless laser notebook mouse
Apple Inc. Built-in iSight
Apple Computer, Inc. IR ReceiverGatekeeper: ℹ️
Mac App Store and identified developersKernel Extensions: ℹ️
/Library/Extensions
[loaded] com.webroot.driver.WebrootSecureAnywhere (59 - SDK 10.9) [Click for support]Launch Agents: ℹ️
[running] com.webroot.WRMacApp.plist [Click for support]Launch Daemons: ℹ️
[running] com.webroot.security.mac.plist [Click for support]
[running] com.webroot.webfilter.mac.plist [Click for support]User Login Items: ℹ️
iTunesHelper Application (/Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunesHelper.app)Internet Plug-ins: ℹ️
Default Browser: Version: 600 - SDK 10.10
npwebroot: Version: 2.0.15 [Click for support]
QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.7.3Safari Extensions: ℹ️
Password *****
webfilter3rd Party Preference Panes: ℹ️
NoneTime Machine: ℹ️
Time Machine not configured!Top Processes by CPU: ℹ️
7% WindowServer
5% WSDaemon
3% Mail
2% fontd
0% taskgatedTop Processes by Memory: ℹ️
597 MB kernel_task
516 MB com.apple.WebKit.WebContent(3)
426 MB softwareupdated
360 MB Safari
213 MB iTunesVirtual Memory Information: ℹ️
2.95 GB Free RAM
5.05 GB Used RAM
0 B Swap UsedDiagnostics Information: ℹ️
May 30, 2015, 12:32:39 PM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/SecurityAgent_2015-05-30-123239_[redacted].crash
May 29, 2015, 03:05:35 PM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/locationd_2015-05-29-150535_[redacted].crash
May 29, 2015, 03:04:34 PM Self test - passed
May 29, 2015, 09:42:10 AM /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/WSDaemon_2015-05-29-094210_[redacted].crash
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You get it?
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Yup... Hold on just another minute.
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok! Your Mac looks to be in pretty good shape but it's possible the Webroot Secure Anywhere software might be causing issues here. Click the Webroot icon that should be in the menu bar at the very top of screen and choose Shut Down SecureAnywhere Next, you should download the latest version of Adobe Flash player from here: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ Click the Install Now button. The download will be named similar to “AdobeFlashPlayer_17_osx.dmg" and will be stored in your downloads folder or desktop. You will need to double-click it to open the disk image if Safari does not do this for you. Inside, you should find the "Install Adobe Flash Player.app" installer. Double-clicking this should start the installer and load the latest version of Flash onto your system. If the install seems to complete without errors, go to the test page below. Can you see the animated movie under section 5? Also, what version does it show is installed under section 1 (Click "Check Now", if needed)? http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html If you still have an issue, let me know and we will troubleshoot further. John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It always asks for a User Name and password? The user name is ***** ***** with my name "Randall Greenfield" and I do not know what password ***** is asking for?
Randt
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Oh, ok. That is new information and a slightly different issue. The password ***** is asking for is your OS X user account password. Do you remember this password? John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried every password ***** have in my password ***** and none have worked!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where can I find the OS X user account password?
Randy
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Alright, in that case it will need to be reset if you've forgotten it. Shutdown your Mac. Restart and, as soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the “OPTION” key at boot until the boot menu appears. (Alternative: Restart, hold COMMAND + R keys until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator. If neither of those work, try COMMAND + R + OPT.) Then, select the “Recovery" volume. Wait for “OS X Utilities” menu to appear (DO NOT RE-INSTALL) Click on the “Utilities” option in the menubar at the top of the screen and select “Terminal” Type the following at the prompt: resetpassword ***** press Return on the keyboard. Select the Macintosh HD volume and the user account. To change the password, type it in both places, and a hint, then click the Save button. Restart your Mac and, hopefully, you should be all set for installing software. John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I wrote down all your instructions precisely as you typed them so here goes!
Bye for now
Randy
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Good luck! John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I get back to you after completed?
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
You should be able to bookmark this link: http://www.justanswer.com/mac-computers/94ccm-can-t-open-install-adobe-flash-player-macbook.html John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I bookmark it?
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Click the link to go to that page if you are not there already. In Safari, go up to "Bookmarks" in the menu bar and choose "Add Bookmark..." you should find it in the Bookmarks menu where you saved it afterwards. John
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
You are likely also receiving email notifications of our conversation if you supplied an email address when signing up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see the "Bookmarks" option at the top of the screen. Ok here goes the "Bookmarking" process.
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok :-)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I have Bookmarked the link in a folder called "John T.F." So now i am going to start the shut down process as soon as you say GO!
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, go for it!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do I find the "OS X Utilities menu?
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
You should see it on screen once you boot from the Recovery volume. It's the only thing on screen at that point.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trying it again! Here goes!
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never saw the "OS X Utilities menu?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I held the option key through the whole boot up process could that have been the problem?
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
No that's what you should be doing. However are you pressing and holding it as soon as you hear the chime?
If you don't start early enough then it won't work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try it again. Where do I look for the "Recovery" volume?
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
It should be an option on screen after holding down the Option key.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok here goes again!
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I never saw the "OS X Utilities menu?
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, nor Recovery?
Try pressing and holding Command and R together instead.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok here goes!
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Command R did not reveal anything? Any way you can remote link into my computer?
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Since you have to restart in order to perform the task, I'm afraid that's not possible. When you restart your Mac, do you hear the start up chime? John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes I hear the start-up chime
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Please try this as a test. Restart the Mac As soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the following keys; COMMAND, OPTION, P, R Hold them until you hear the chime a second time and then release the keys and allow the Mac to boot normally. Do you hear the chime a second time? John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
COMMAND, OPTION, P, R did nothing different?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I give up!
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
This is quite bizarre. You are using the internal keyboard on the Mac, correct? John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes using the built in keyboard. Maybe I should give up!
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
When you restart, you are pressing and holding the buttons as soon as you hear the sound, correct, while the screen is still dark? John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes pressing and holding while the screen is dark before the sound even chimes!
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, Shut off the Mac. Plug in the power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time. Press the power button to turn on the Mac. Let it boot normally. Then, Restart the Mac again As soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the following keys; COMMAND, OPTION, P, R Hold them until you hear the chime a second time and then release the keys and allow the Mac to boot normally. Do you hear the chime a second time now? John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That did nothing new?
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, one last attempt... 1) Restart your Mac and hold the COMMAND and S keys together as soon as you hear the the start up chime. When the screen flashes white and then goes black and you start seeing text appear on screen, let go of the keys. 2) After a short period of time you will land at a command prompt (:/root#). At the command-line prompt, type: /sbin/fsck -fy and press Return.- - -“fsck” is a file system checker. It will run through a battery of tests, looking at different aspects of your file system. When it's done, it will normally produce one of two messages a) "The volume (name of your hard drive) appears to be OK If it states the above, then your drive is fine and you can simply type "reboot" at the prompt and press Return to restart your Mac and boot back to the Desktop. b) If fsck found any errors, it may have tried to correct them and will display this message: --FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED-- If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed at the beginning: /sbin/fsck -fy and Press Return. Keep repeating this until it reports your drive is OK. If by some reason you need to do the above more than 5 times, this indicates a more serious issue. At the very least, the hard drive needs to be formatted and OS X should be re-installed. However, assuming everything goes okay, type 'reboot' at the prompt and then press Return. Once you are back at the desktop, let me know the results. John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That did not work either! I tried it three times and never saw a command prompt!
Time to go to bed!
Thanks for trying!
Mucho Grazia
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I'm sorry to hear that. Given all that we have tried, I feel there is another issue at work with your Mac that should probably be addressed physically by an Apple authorized service center. Any Mac capable of running OS X should respond to the majority of these key commands. The fact that yours does not, indicates an internal problem. If you have any further questions, please let me know! John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for trying John!
Sincerely
Randy
Bed Time now
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome! Have a good night,John