Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

Mike, I'm locked out of my mac os X yosemite. Can you h

Customer Question

Hi Mike, I'm locked out of my mac os X yosemite. Can you help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hi! Have you forgotten your user account password? Thanks,John
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Can you clarify how you are locked out please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed my password ***** forgot to write it down. Now I can't remember what it actually was. I can't get past the log in screen and do not have a recovery key or a boot up disk
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It also happens to be a work computer, but they don't support mac's. I have access to a admin log in account but can not change the log in on my side though the users and groups.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Yes do this:
Reboot into the Recovery Drive by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, hold down the ‘command’ + ‘r’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process when you see the start up screen you can let go. When the machine boots eventually you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Go to the Utilites menu and select Terminal:
At the prompt type ‘resetpassword’ (hit enter)
This launches the Reset Password ***** select the Volume Hard Drive in the top part of the window pane, then for the user that you need to reset select the user account in the lower part then add and confirm the new password ***** click save, you get a confirmation screen and details about the keychain account.
Go to the Apple Menu and click Restart to boot back to the normal hard drive and the new password ***** take effect immediately.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The reset password ***** isn't showing a volume to select and also no available users...?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like you have more problems than just the password:
Quit Terminal select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column, if there are two or it is named something else choose the first indented item, and then select Verify Disk on the right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Verify Disk was ok
Verify Disk Permissions came up with a few details:
Warning: SUID file System/library/CoreS has been modified and will not be repaired
ACL found but not expected on private/var/root/library
ACL found but not not expected on private/var/root/library /prefernces
User differs on private/var/db/displaypolicyd: should be 0; user is 244
Group differs on private/var/db/displaypolicyd; should be 0. group is 244
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK quit Disk Utility and open Terminal and try again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The hard drive showed up this time as well as the user account. When I went to save a new password, I got this error: "Password ***** saved - the passowrd you entered has not been saved for the user. You may not have permission to edit this disk or general failure has occured."
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK try
sudo resetpassword
but you have to know the admin password
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the admin password. Do I type sudo reset password ***** the terminal screen?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK wait if you have the admin password ***** restart and login to that account
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, logged into the admin account
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK go to System Preferences / Users & Groups and select your account and then Reset Password ***** don't need to know the previous one
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't allow me to reset it for the other account. Both accounts are admins.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Oh I see. I assume you can't just make a new user account you have things you need to save? Ok then try the Recovery HD and Terminal again but you have to make sure you choose the right user
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I may have to create another user if that is the only way. I have all my documents, but the software is all showing on that one side. Going to terminal now
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
That is very odd because normally the software is available to all users.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All I know is when I go onto the other admin side, the software isn't showing. Could be a company set up thing?The hd isn't showing again in the terminal. Do I need to do the verify check again?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
They could have installed them in your user Applications folder but how did they know to do that if they don't support Macs?? You should not have to do that again but ok try it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Another area of the company, located accross the US, set the macs up for us. They did it as a favor only. Our area of the company does not have mac support..:(Disk Verified
Same Disk PermissionsSame error on save
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is an option ot reset home folder permissions and ACL's....?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
That won't matter if you can't reset the password... OK I don't know how they set it up if those are the only two users it should work. You will have to make a new user.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I make a new user how do I access the software?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
If you make an Admin user it should have access to all the Apps in Applications but if they installed them in your personal user account's Applications folder you will have to reinstall them.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, I can't reinstall all of them without sending the computer in for re-imaging. That would have to be my last resort
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Make a new user admin account and see if they are there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, one sec. conference call
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK if they are not there unfortunately you have no other options
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need to do further research before creating a new user. It will force me to send the Mac in to be re-imaged with the company. Thank you for trying.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I don't understand, a new user can just be deleted... I just wanted you to see if your Apps are in Applications or if they were installed your User Applications folder which would be very unusual.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Log in to your other Admin account and open the Applications folder. Are your apps there?