Kamil Anwar, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

Is it normal MacBook Air to become quite warm on the

Customer Question

Is it normal for the MacBook Air to become quite warm on the bottom when it's doing a lot of calculations? My battery seems to be discharging faster than before and I'm wondering if it needs repair and if the warmth indicates a problem.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to JustAnswer.
These symptoms indicate that some of yours apps or one of them is consuming high CPU which is why it has started to heat and the battery would run out quickly. Before, getting it diagnosed for hardware issues, (rare) i would suggest running Activity Monitor, this will list all the software processes running, look at the %CPU which has the biggest number running. Try to quit or stop that process. After a few moments, check if your MacBook is still hot. If it is not, then the process/software you stopped is the cause of the heat.
If you already know that this has started after you have run some app, then that is the cause.
Hope this helps. If you have any questions, please ask and if i have answered your question, then a rating by clicking the star icon will be appreciated.
Thanks