Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  6 years repairing macs and ipods and 3rd level tech support
28647879

I'm moving and will be selling or giving away the old "bubble"

Customer Question

I'm moving and will be selling or giving away the old "bubble" mac running 9.0.4 (PPC Enabler); the old dome with floaty screen running 10.3.9 (PPC G4. I would like to erase my data from the machines and put it on an external HD. Also, I have a newer (ha! 8 year old) iMac that runs 10.6.8, I know I can use Time Machine with that one BUT I'm the administrator and want to take all my data off that machine but leave the other account in tact. Some things I've read have been over my head, so if you could just be as basic as possible, I would appreciate it.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 2 years ago.
Hello there! My name is***** and I will be assisting you today.
for the 9.0.4 mac you will need to connect an external hard drive and copy your personal files (apps cannot be copied) once you do that we can format the drive with disk utility an app that comes with your mac.
now as far as time machine it will only copy the current user not all users. So once you do a backup you can delete the user from here as well./
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the guidance, On my iMac (10.6.8) I downloaded Adobe Creative Suite CS5. So I won't be able to copy that to an external HD? It's just gone?
If you downloaded that from adobe or still have the disk you can reinstall it with no issues.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm just getting to my computers to erase everything and have run into problems. Trying to use disk utility to erase and the HD is grated out, I can't select it. On the iMac running OS 9, in the Utilities folder it only has "Disk Copy", "Disk First Aid" and "Drive Setup". I hope you are still available to help me.
Have you gone through each option? there might be a delete volume format erase etc
Hello again. I am posting back because i have not heard from you hopefully this a good thing as your problem is possibly fixed. Please either post back if your still having problems or just rate this reply ( 3 stars or better).