Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I have a ipod classic and had restored it to factory settings

Customer Question

Hi, I have a ipod classic and had restored it to factory settings as it had some weirdness going on (Skipping songs etc). Now when I try and sync it to iTunes, I get a 13010 error.
I had tried deleting genius files as someone had recommended but it didn't help. Any ideas?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today!
Question, are you using Itunes on a Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, or a mac.
If its a mac, can you check your osx version as mentioned below.
Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.
Thank you,
Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows 8
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thank you..
For good measure. Lets press the windows key on your keyboard, which is two keys to the left of the spacebar.
Press and hold the windows key, and press S
On the top bar, type in uninstall , then click on uninstall a program.
First, uninstall the apple mobile device service. And then uninstall itunes.
Then, once itunes is removed. Restart your computer and download a fresh copy of itunes from here.
http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/?cid=wwa-us-kwm-music-itu
Once downloaded, install it. And then run itunes.
Can it connect to, and sync to your ipod now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a brand new computer, with a fresh installation of itunes installed. The only thing I did was bring my music over.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Understood. In that case we can skip that step.
You mentioned that syncing is not an option. Can you even see the ipod, inside itunes. On the device list?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can see it, I can access like an external drive. It begins the sync and then fails part way through. I got a list of about 42 songs that it said it couldn't load so I skipped those.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Question.. Besides those 42 songs..
Will it let you sync any songs at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Looks like there are some on the ipod within iTunes, but it is in a weird loop. Won't let me eject to verify, keeps saying that it is syncing
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
I think, we may need to do a DFU mode restore, as a new device.
And then allow itunes to update the IOS version, before we try and sync.
Let let it finish, whatever strange loop its in. And whenever it errors out or completes.
Heres how to put the classic into DFU mode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_bIDtBohnE
Then, once its there. Tell itunes to restore it as a new device. ( keep in mind, this is going to delete any music on the ipod, and any data you have on the ipod. So if there is music or any other media you havent saved elsewhere. Dont proceed with this step until you have saved that data )
After itunes restores it as a new device. For good measure, turn the ipod off, disconnect it, and then reconnect the ipod. Itunes shouldnt ask you to update, but it could.
If it doesnt ask you to update the ipods ios, then try to sync again.
Let me know if you run into any issues, or if you get the same, or a different error.
Dustin S.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, in process
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Understood.. I'll be standing by. ( please dont feel you have to respond till you have more info , I have to respond as soon as possible to keep my average response times as low as possible )
D.S
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey - sorry for delay, tried to do this and hit the same wall 13010 error. I misspoke earlier, when I looked at ipod in iTunes, it showed the files on the ipod but after disconnecting, there weren't any files on the system. So doesn't look like any music files are transferring during sync. Thx Amy
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Understood Amy..
If you dont mind Id like to continue this tomorrow. Or When youre next available.
What Id like to do , is connect to your computer and try to work the issue myself. That will save us both some time and hopefully, allow a successful resolution.
Its late, and Im far past the end of my shift, Ive got to turn in for the night.
See you tomorrow,
Dustin S.