Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  6 years repairing macs and ipods and 3rd level tech support
28647879

Travis, I am Bruce. Have a Macbookpro 13 in

Customer Question

Hi Travis, I am Bruce. Have a Macbookpro 13 in
Category: Mac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a 13" macbook pro. It was purchased new in 2012. It is actually my Daughter's computer. She is a graphic designer and is currently living and working in Dublin Ireland. She went to the city of Prague for a holiday, and she indicated that when she
used her computer, it overheated badly and smoked and shut down. When she boots it, she gets a white screen with a circle crossed out. So what is that and what does it mean and what can be repaired on this machine?
Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 1 year ago.
Hello there! My name is***** and I will be assisting you today. That symbol means her macbook cant find the operating system or osx. Follow the steps below to ifx the issue.
1. turn off mac
2. Locate CMD and R keys
3. Turn on mac holding the keys from step 2
4. use disk utility to repair hard drive. Then reset.
5. if issue still persists follow steps 1-3 then select reinstall OSX.
^. if she cannot install osx a new hard drive will be needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so what is it that has happened?Also, are all her data files and programs outside of osx lost?
Itd possible that some lint got caught inside and shorted the mac or maybe the hard drive itself. We really dont know till we start doing the steps i posted before.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will her data files be lost when operating system is reinstalled?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If a new hard drive is needed, can you recommend a service to retrieve data from Hard drive?Since it overheated, how do you know if microprocessor or motherboard is not damaged? How to determine this?What about power supply?Please give thorough answer?Thank you Bruce
No it will not be as the re-installation will just copy over core system files.
we can find out the damage after the osx is reinstalled and if you could get the drive into an external shell i could remotely retrieve the data for a portion of what the brick and mortars would charge.
i changed my reply to show what you asked one your second post
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You didn't answer my questions....would you please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would you know that you can retrieve data from her hard drive if the operating system is corrupt?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am still trying to get some information....The disc utility cannot access the hard drive, it say to reload operating system. SO how do I back up my hard drive before I do this??? I can't figure out how to back it up??
your going to have to install a new hard drive then we can copy the files from the old drive to the new hard drive otherwise everything will be erased.
Hello again. I am posting back because i have not heard from you hopefully this a good thing as your problem is possibly fixed. Please either post back if your still having problems or just rate this reply ( 3 stars or better).