Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

All of my 78,000 photos (and a bunch of other photo and movie

Customer Question

All of my 78,000 photos (and a bunch of other photo and movie files) were on a 3T drive that died. Luckily, I had been backing up the drive, so I copied the backup drive in its entirety to a new 4T drive. I started iPhoto with the option key held down and chose the 4/2/2015 backup iPhoto file. iPhoto said that I could not open the file since it was a backup file. Then I went to iPhotoLibeMgr to see if could open it. It allowed me to access the file in iPhotoLibeMgr, but said "you don't have permission to open it in iPhoto. It DID, however load into iPhotoLibeMgr and I double clicked it to see if that would work. I got the message "iPhotoOurAlbums [the name of my file] appears to be in use by another copy of iPhoto (e.g. a copy running on another machine, accessing the library over the internet). Please quit any other copies of iPhoto that have this line open and try again."
Of course, I don't have any other copies of the file running. How do I recover my photos?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Were you using Time Machine to back it up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Open Migration Assistant and select that backup if it was backing up the external drive too that should be listed to bring the Library back. Let me know what is listed
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do I find Migration Assistant? And I had it backing up the external drive only.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
IN Applications / Utilities
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says all other apps will quit when I continue with Migration Asst. How do I then reach you?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Bookmark this page
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry. It didn't work. For one, it said there was not enough room on my main hard drive. I had backed up my external 3T drive and want to restore it to my new 4T drive, but that didn't appear to be an option. It assumed a backup to my internal drive, which is too small. Two, it didn't offer me the option of which backup to restore. I would want to restore from the 4/2/2015 backup, not any later ones. Three, it didn't offer me the option of restoring just a selected few files from the 4/2/2015 backup. Help!
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Right if the drive it was backing up is gone it makes it a little difficult to pick and choose a date. But you should be able to restore the current date to a third drive see here:
http://www.macworld.com/article/2066996/how-to-transfer-backups-from-time-machine-to-a-new-mac.html
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Try this I think this is your situation exactly:
http://pondini.org/TM/E3.html