Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  6 years repairing macs and ipods and 3rd level tech support
28647879

I have a Mac Mini. I run Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.

Customer Question

I have a Mac Mini. I run Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel. When starting from a fresh reboot and running Microsoft Word everything works great and is lightning fast. However if I then open a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet and then shut it down and then going back to Microsoft Word, Word now runs more slowly and everytime i click Save for a document there is a 3-4 second lag. the only way I that I have figured out so far two get back to lightning quick operation is by rebooting the computer and as long as I don't open Microsoft Excel by Microsoft Word will be lightning fast. My question is is there a way to prevent Microsoft Word from slowing down after opening Microsoft Excel? Or secondarily after closing down Microsoft Excel is there a way to refresh the memory settings without having to reboot the entire computer that could fix the lag?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Please go to the Apple logo at the upper left of your computer screen to About This Mac and give me this information:
The exact system Version (listed right under Mac OS X)
Processor
Memory

What version of Office is that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

10.10.3

2.6 Ghz Intel core i7

16 GB

Word version 12.3.6

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK you should not be having any problems with that system, let's check somethings:

Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the ‘Apple‘ menu > Restart, hold down the ‘Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process when you see the Apple Logo you can let go. When the machine boots eventually you will see the OS X Utilities screen., select the Disk Utility and then select Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column, if there are two or it is named something else choose the first indented item, and then select Verify Disk on the right. If that says “OK” in green type then select Repair Permissions. If it is not ok let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is going to take some time. I will reply again when I have completed this. Probably will be 15-20 mins from now. I have another issue to deal with first. I will get back to you, I really want to fix this. Thanks.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK so that is Office 2008?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK let me know when that is done
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, all done.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
So Verify Disk was OK in green type and then you Repaired Permissions? OK go here and download Maintenance for your system version:

http://www.titanium.free.fr/maintenance.html

Follow the directions and let it check your drive then check all boxes and Execute, let me know if the problem persists after restart.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Sorry you can skip the check the drive part
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I finished all of that. Still having same problem.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK I was hoping clearing the font caches would fix but it it seems to be a common problem and the fix is to remove the apps and Preferences and reinstall:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2500821
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm not sure how I will re install it if I completely remove it. I think I originally purchased it as a download. I'm worried I will won't be able to reinstall it. I'm also now having a new problem in that my Time machine now can't backup the computer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Well of course you will need the install disk I don't think Office 2008 was ever available as a download?? There are somethings I can try if I connect
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I was really not expecting things to get this involved and complicated. My concern now is that after running all the tests you recommended, now my Time Machine cannot backup.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

Well computers are not simple sorry I wish I could wave a wand but I can't. That was all normal maintenance. What is happening with Time Machine? Turn off Time Machine then restart and open the Disk Utility and Verify Disk on the backup drive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Disk utility can't verify backup disk, says it needs to be repaired. Repair disk says it can't be repaired, says to reformat it.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I was afraid of that. Obvioulsy that was not caused by what we did. Since we checked your drive you can safely erase the backup drive and then restart your backup
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I guess I don't have any choice. But the last successful backup was 6:47 pm. And I used time machine earlier today to retrieve a file and it worked fine. So it seems like something we did tonight has created this issue.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I assure you what we did could not possibly corrupt your backup drive. Just because it is is corrupt does not mean it might not work "sometimes". If it is so bad it has to be reformatted right you have no choice sorry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, well I need to work on reformatting this backup and then backing up my hard drive. What do you think caused this corruption?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

That is very difficult to say it happens over a period of time the directory can be corrupted by abruptly disconnecting the drive, system crashes, application crashes force quitting apps or the computer etc.... I suggest checking all drives on a regular basis or getting software that checks it for you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doesn't it seem strange that it was working fine earlier today and then after running that maintenance tool and rebooting, suddenly it stops working?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
You have no idea if it was working only that it did not give you any errors that's all... Fixing the permissions possibly made Time Machine work right finally and it saw a bad disk. Here are some example of software that checks that for you.

Drive Genius:

https://www.prosofteng.com/drivegenius4/drivegeniusfeatures/

TechTool Pro:

https://www.micromat.com/products/techtool-pro
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

What we did did not touch your backup drive, believe me, it was already corrupt.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay well I am sure that your right all I can say is that I use to time machine earlier today to retrieve a file that I discovered was missing and I was able to locate it from a saved backup 2 months ago and able to restore the file successfully. So to me it seems like something weird happened tonight to make it stop working. anyway I'm not trying to blame you and I know that no one would have predicted that this would happen based on what we did tonight but clearly something weird did happen. Regardless I am using the Disk Utility which was unable to erase the backup drive so I'm having to repartition the entire thing and it has been preparing to remove the partition for the past 10 minutes so I hope that this will work.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

I don't recommend doing that. Make sure Time Machine is off, then Restart in Safe Mode by holding the Shift key at startup and try to erase it again. I suggest you choose Security Options and move it one line to the right it takes while but that makes sure all sectors are checked

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Unable to erase. Disk not mounted.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Unplug the drive from power for a few minutes, check the cables and then try again. How old is the drive?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Select the device name not the name of the backup volume
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did try that. I've unplugged it. Waiting for a couple minutes.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

OK what is listed in the Disk Utility? How old is the drive?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It doesn't say.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Please clarify which question are you answering?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The backup drive is a 1tb LaCie. But all attempts to erase it are not working on disk utility. I I give up. I will buy a new back up driving I guess.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
In Disk Utility choose the Lacie device not the indented volume under it and try again. If it is over 4 years old it could be bad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I already tried that, it doesn't work.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK I guess it is bad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So I guess we are done. I know you tried your best but at the end of the day my problem isn't fixed, I spent 2 hours working on it and I have to buy a new back up drive. Overall not the best experience. Am I wrong to not want to pay for this service today?

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I told you what to do to fix your original question. Obvioulsy you had more problems than that and I did my best even though that was not part of the question. It is difficult to do basically tech support this way when I cannot connect and see what is happeining.

Why didn't you just stop then instead of making me spend all that time? It is up to you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, but I am not at all satisfied. My situation is worse than when I started.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

That is not my fault. You would never have known the drive was bad if not for me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The drive worked early today! It wasn't bad. This conversation is over.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.

I tell you what print out what we did and take it to the Apple Store they will tell you nothing we did caused any of that. IT WAS ALREADY CORRUPT!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Then why did it work perfectly fine earlier today? You are in denial.

Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Sir I have been working on Macs for over 25 years. You just had a lot more problems than Office I am done bye. Good luck
Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 1 year ago.
Hello there! My name is***** and I will be assisting you today. Lets verify if this is a system wide issue. Please follow the steps below.

CLick apple icon

select system preferences

select users (or accounts in earlier versions)

then Click the plus icon ( underneath the list of users)

and select to make a admin user

you can use whatever name you like as long as it is not the same as your current user

then click ok

select the apple icon and select sign out/log off

and sign in to the new account

is it the same?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes.

Ok so its a system wide issue. Lets see if we boot into safe mode ( which only starts up your mac with the basic programs) to see if it works differently there.

Turn off your mac

Hold the shift key

turn on your mac while continuing to hold the shift key

You should see your regular login windo but the words safe boot will be shown.

then log in and test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Same problem

If you like i can remote connect and see whats going.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. I just want to end this thread.