Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

How do you set up a second user on my new apple power book

Customer Question

How do you set up a second user on my new apple power book - one for me and a second for my girlfriend
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, and welcome to JustAnswer, I look forward to assisting you today with your question and providing the best answer possible.
To do this, please do the following
Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Users & Groups.
Click the lock icon to unlock it, then enter an administrator name and password.
Click Add + below the list of users.
Click the New Account pop-up menu, then choose a type of user.
administrator: An administrator can add and manage other users, install apps, and change settings. The new user you create when you first set up your Mac is an administrator. Your Mac can have multiple administrators. You can create new ones, and convert standard users to administrators. Don’t set up automatic login for an administrator. If you do, someone could simply restart your Mac and gain access with administrator privileges. To keep your Mac secure, don’t share administrator names and passwords.
standard user: Standard users are set up by an administrator. A standard user can install apps and change settings for his or her own use. Standard users can’t add other users or change other users’ settings.
managed user: Users who are managed with parental controls can access only the apps and content specified by the administrator managing the user. The administrator can restrict the user’s contacts and website access, and place time limits on computer use.
sharing only user: Sharing-only users can access shared files remotely, but can’t log in to or change settings on the computer. To give the user permission to access your shared files or screen, you may need to change settings in the File Sharing, Screen Sharing, or Remote Management panes of Sharing preferences.
group: A “group” allows multiple users to have the same access privileges. For example, you can grant a group specific access privileges for a folder or a file, and all members of the group have access. You can also assign a group specific access privileges for each of your shared folders.You control a group’s access to your shared folders by setting access permissions in the File Sharing section of Sharing preferences.
guest user: Guest users can use your computer temporarily without you having to add them as individual users. You can set restrictions guests can access only the items you want to share. Files created by a guest are stored in a temporary folder, but this folder and its contents are deleted when the guest logs out. The guest account works with the Find My Mac feature of iCloud, which can help you find your Mac if you lose it. You can locate your Mac if someone finds it, logs in as a guest, then uses Safari to access the Internet.
Guests:
Don’t need a password ***** log in
Can’t change user or computer settings
Can’t log in remotely when remote login is turned on in Sharing preferences
Enter a full name for the new user. An account name is ***** ***** To use a different account name, enter it now—you can’t change it later.
Enter a password ***** the user, then enter it again to verify. Using a password ***** is recommended to help the user remember his or her password.
Click Create User.
Depending on the type of user you create, you can also do any of the following:
To let the user access your shared files and screen remotely using an Apple ID, click Set, then enter the user’s Apple ID. The Apple ID must be the same as an Apple ID entered for the user in Users & Groups preferences on the user’s Mac.
To let the user reset the password ***** logging in on this Mac, select “Allow user to reset password ***** Apple ID.” If this option is dimmed, click Set, then enter the user’s Apple ID.
For an administrator, select “Allow user to administer this computer.”
For a child or other managed user, select “Enable parental controls.” Click Open Parental Controls, then set up restrictions for the user.
For a sharing-only user, specify which folders the user can view and whether the user can share your screen. For more information, see Share your files with other Mac users or Share your screen.
If you have any problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you