kanoko
kanoko, Mac Guru
Experience:  5+ years of Mac expertise
65089077

I have Bose speakers and a Cambridge Soundworks subwoofer attached

Customer Question

I have Bose speakers and a Cambridge Soundworks subwoofer attached to my IMAC. I have been getting a buzzing sound for a while now, and today I can't get the output to play through those speakers, only the IMAC speakers
Category: Mac
Expert:  kanoko replied 1 year ago.
I would be glad to help. To provide the best solution in the shortest amount of time, could you tell me a bit more about the problem?
What is the model name/number of the speakers and subwoofer?
Were either of these speakers working at some point in the past? If so, was it connected to the same iMac or a different computer?
Also what type of cables are you using to connect the speakers to the iMac?
The speakers that do work, are they the integrated speakers or another external set of speakers?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The speakers are Bose Companion 2, Series 2. The subwoofer is a Cambridge Soundworks Slim 500. The cable are Radio Shack. The speakers had always worked, but recently started to have a low hum.
Expert:  kanoko replied 1 year ago.
I see. So the Slim 500 is usually sold as a 2.1 speaker and subwoofer combo. Did you originally have this whole set and then swap out the speakers with the Bose, or did you only ever have the subwoofer from the Slim 500?
Also, can you try playing another device like an iPod or cd player through the bose speakers and let me know if the hum still persists?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe I originally had a pair of Cambridge Soundworks speakers also. Just to clarify, I can't get the speakers to work at all now, aside from the hum. I'll see if I can hook an IPod to see if works.
Expert:  kanoko replied 1 year ago.
OK, yes we should try testing the speakers and subwoofer seperately on different devices to make sure the speakers are not going bad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cables that go into the subwoofer and speakers are dual red and white cables. How do I try a device like an IPod that doesn't have that kind of connection?
Expert:  kanoko replied 1 year ago.
Well they make a cable that converts RCA to mini like this:
http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Mini-Plug-Computer-Stereo/dp/B000LMFS7M
but for now let's try connecting the ipod via the mini cable you use to connect the speakers to the imac. If you still hear the hum, try placing the speakers and subwoofer as far apart as possible and use your ear next to each component to check which components are playing the hum.
Expert:  kanoko replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know the results of the test so I can better diagnose the source of your problem.
Expert:  kanoko replied 1 year ago.
If you are having trouble testing each of the components individually,, let me know and I can walk you through it. Or if you have found the source of the problem, please remember to leave a rating on the question page.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did try my IPhone with the speakers and it worked fine. Then when I replugged it into the IMac it seemed to be okay, but will keep testing it. Thx.
Expert:  kanoko replied 1 year ago.
THanks for doing that. It is possible that a connection was loose which caused the hum. Or it may only happen when a specific audio frequency is being played. Try testing your speakers on this site and slowly adjust the slider to test the full frequency range to see if any of them can generate the hum you heard earlier:
http://plasticity.szynalski.com/tone-generator.htm
Expert:  kanoko replied 1 year ago.
Were you able to create the hum using the web-site I posted earlier?
Expert:  kanoko replied 1 year ago.
Unless you are able to recreate the hum using the web-site I provided, I don't think I will be able to assist you further.
If you can't hear the hum on any of the frequencies on that site, then it most likely was a loose connection.
If you no longer need help, please remember to leave a rating on the question page.
Expert:  kanoko replied 1 year ago.
I will keep your question open until you have a chance to RATE or REPLY on the question page here:
http://www.justanswer.com/mac-computers/93j4f-bose-speakers-cambridge-soundworks-subwoofer-attached.html#