Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I'm getting a network timeout 995 when checking my domain

Customer Question

I'm getting a network timeout 995 when checking my domain mail in Apple's Mail app in addition, my domain (website) is having issues loading on my Mac while if I connect my Mac to my iPhone hotspot, it seems like everything is working. What can I do?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
In Apple Mail check to see what port you are set to receive Mail from. Go to Mail / Preferences / Accounts choose the account and go to Advanced what port is listed?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
If it says 995 try changing to 993
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did but it's doing the same thing. It's POP and just sits there at "Checking account connections: Connecting to server: etc. etc.".
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK POP is normally 110 try that and turn off SSL if no go change it back to 995 turn on SSL and then go to System Preferences / Network choose your connection and go to Advanced under DNS make it8.8.8.88.8.4.4then restart and see if you can get Mail
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found the issue. It's AT&T. My mail immediately comes in the moment I switch to a hotspot or another WiFi. How can all of the sudden AT&T just block my domain, my email, and my site and how do I undo this?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Did you put it back to 995 and also change the DNS?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Also what is your domain?
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
I doubt they are blocking you but every Internet service has their own DNS servers and I always had problems with AT&T's. The ones I gave you are Google's. Let me know because I have to step away now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I changed the DNS & other settings back. Looks like I have a local IP for my DNS but it disappears when adding a manual DNS like 8.8.8.8 but no websites load when inputting 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4, once removed, all sites work except my hosting .
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Did you restart after changing the DNS? Something is off did you see my offer to remote connect?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi yes. I can't at the moment but I am noticing that the IP publicly is an IPv6 instead of the usual iPv4 in addition, AT&T reset the modem remotely completely and the issue remains identical so that clears out a lot of questions or at least what the possibilities could be. Anything with Record Names with the domain to change? I wouldn't think my own network would need to be added as a "policy/accept" address while the rest of the world doesn't need to be though.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
OK what is your domain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'd give it out but not sure if my questions are indexed all over Google and don't want my link floating around. AT&T did update me though stating that it has to do with the hosting company blocking the IP address of my modem. Seems possible but I have no idea why it would be blocked, in addition, I've seen someone blocked by a server before and there's at least a "You have been banned" or related message. These are just timeouts.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
If you Accept the Additional Services you can give me private info.