Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.
25267123

I am trying to increase my ram from 2 GB to 4GB--I have followed

Customer Question

I am trying to increase my ram from 2 GB to 4GB--I have followed the instructions to the letter --but now my comp is beeping--I was told the ram card was probably inserted incorrectly--I tried again with the same beeping result. Is it possible that the ram cards I got at Best Buy are not compatible with my comp. --the no. is DDR2 Pc2-6400--the Best Buy saies guy told me it should be compatible with both PC and MAC. Pls. advise--Due to time constraints, I am trying to avoid going into the Apple Store if possible. Thanks.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 1 year ago.
Hello there! You should be able to use any ram so there is likely an issue with the ram your purchased. A good brand ( also the one apple uses) is kingston. Try to get that for your iMac. Also 4GBs is the max so do not buy any higher as it will not be detected.
Expert:  Mike replied 1 year ago.
Please put the old RAM back in and restart then give me the serial number. You go to the Apple Logo to About this Mac and if it is not on that screen go to More Info and it should be on the following screen.