Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I just purchased a MacBook Pro running Yosemite 10.10.3,

Customer Question

Hi! I just purchased a MacBook Pro running Yosemite 10.10.3, and have heard that I may qualify for a free download of IWork which will enable me to open hundreds of letters, reports and even my book manuscript which all were composed using AppleWorks 6. Is this true? How can I possibly get this? Thanks in advance! Dr. John M. Gentry (John is fine)
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi John and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
On your Mac, open Applications folder and open App Store. Under Purchased/Purchases tab, do you see Pages, Keynote or Numbers. If so, download/install them.
If you can't see them there, then search Pages, Keynote or Numbers in App Store. This will show them there and you can install it.
If you still can't find it, then goto this website and do a request --> https://www.apple.com/creativity-apps/mac/up-to-date/
If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ashik, I actually already have version 5.5.3 of Pages on my new computer, but have not been successful in opening up, for exampe, the book I wrote with Appleworks 6 on my older 2009 MacBook. If you can walk me through how to do this one conversion, we will be done and I will commend you most highly. Can you do that? If you'd like, we could even talk on the phone. I am at(###) ###-#### Thanks, ***** *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did you get my last note?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I will walk you through it. Apple Works 6 documents can be opened in Pages. Open Pages, click on File menu and select Open. THen select Apple works document and does it open ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No. Even if I drag the document on top of the Pages application, it's not doing anything.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
John, right click on the file you want to open, then select Open With > Pages. This will open the file in Pages if it is compatible.
I've read that the latest Pages (version 5) doesn't support Apple Works 6 documents. But Pages 1-4 does support Apple Works 6 documents.
But I have a better solution to you. There is a free office suite name LibreOffice. It does allow you to open old Apple Works documents. Download it from here --> https://www.libreoffice.org
Install LibreOffice and try to open Apple Works documents in it. Please let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am on a mac. and do not have a "right click" option. Shyoulw I try "option" or shift or command keys?
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Macs does have right click. You can enable "Secondary click" from System Preferences > Trackpad (or Mouse).
You can also hold down control key and do a normal click to emulate right click.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
John, if you want I can remotely connect to your Mac and help you setup these application and also show you how to transfer these to Pages while you watch. Remote service is an additional service, for additional $22
If you don't want remote, then it is OK. I will give you instructions in here. Let me know if you want remote.
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Here is a direct download link of LibreOffice if you can't find it in their site --> http://donate.libreoffice.org/home/dl/mac-x86_64/4.4.3/en-US/LibreOffice_4.4.3_MacOS_x86-64.dmg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ashik,
I know you were sincerely ***** ***** for that I thank you, ***** ***** course your company may keep my five dollar deposit. But none of the other suggestions you had enabled me to open my old AppleWorks 6 documents from my new Yosemite 10.10.3 MacBook Pro, and these include hundreds of clinical reports, professional letters and revised drafts of my book. I spent five or six hours yesterday (Monday) with Apple Support, and they could not help me either. That is not your fault, but of course my question has not yet been satisfactorily answered. This stands to cost me the largest part of my entire professional business.
Sincerely, ***** ***** M Gentry.(###) ###-####(for texting or voice)
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
Hi John, Have you tried LibreOffice ? It does support old AppleWorks documents
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did try LibreOffice and it did not work. Further, that site advised that they were going to be discontinuing the product shortly as well as their support for it. I will try it again tomorrow, however, and if it does by some miracle work, I will not only let you charge me the other $40, but will also add you to the dedication list in my book. Thanks, ***** ***** night for now. Dr. jmg
Expert:  Ashik replied 2 years ago.
LibreOffice is supposed to work. Can we do a screenshare session, so I can remotely connect to your Mac and we can try it together ?
Remember, you will not be charged anything unless you are satisfied or the issue is resolved. Even the initial deposit is refundable.