Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Mac Expert, 7+ years of experience in installation and trouble shooting of mac osx and apps
50064670

Our iMac suddenly asks 6 digit "System Lock Pin Code".

Customer Question

Our iMac suddenly asks for a 6 digit "System Lock Pin Code".
We don't know what to do.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

It sounds like some one locked the system remotely through iCloud. Is it an old system some one usde before ? Anyway please try 123456 to unlock and let me know the result.

Regards
Jins
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This did not work. It says "wrong pass code. Try again"
I bought this iMac on eBay about 3 years ago.
Also I am using a Logitech keyboard.
Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 year ago.
The owner of the computer, or someone in control of the owner's Apple ID, has remotely locked it. It is a facility by Apple to lock the Apple devices remotely if it is lost or stolen. In your case, contact the real owner to unlock it. If that person is not available, make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider, to have it unlocked. You may be asked for proof of ownership.

Note: Another option we can try in this situation is boot from the installation disk and install OSX after fully erasing the hard disk, but if the
system has been locked by iCloud it has actually put a firmware password ***** your system and it will not allow you to boot from an external media. .

I understand that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me where I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information.

Regards
Jins