John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

I have an Imac 10.6.8 snow leopard. Recently after signing

Customer Question

Hi, I have an Imac 10.6.8 snow leopard. Recently after signing on the desktop just stays blue, no desktop icons. nothing works, any ideas?
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, does it start up normally in Safe Boot mode? Restart your Mac As soon as you hear the Startup chime, press and hold the SHIFT key Continue to hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator. Then, let go of the Shift key and let it boot to the Desktop (it may take longer than usual so please be patient). John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am currently in safe mode, icons show on desktop but they do not open.
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, do you have your OS X 10.6 install disc for troubleshooting purposes? John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the disk, I tried loading it but nothing happens, I can hear it but it then ejects with no results
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok let's try this. Insert the disc and immediately restart the Mac. As soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the Option key until you see the boot menu. Is the install disc listed? John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay, the disk loaded, there is an icon on the grey screen indicating mac HD with arrow. should I click on arrow
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
I'm not clear, is the Macintosh HD the only one listed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok that's the internal drive, not the install disc. For whatever reason it doesn't seem to be reading it. Restart the Mac As soon as you hear the startup chime, press and hold the following keys; COMMAND, OPTION, P, R Hold them until you hear the chime a second time then immediately press and hold the Option key until you see the boot menu. Is the install disc listed now? John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
chimed once, asking me to log in, disk in
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so it would not chime a second time, it just began booting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
disk ejected, asking to log in. if I log in at this stage probably nothing will happen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had issues with the dvd reader in the past, my unit is 6 years old.
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, let's try checking the drive without the disc. Please try the following. If you have any questions, just let me know. 1) Restart your Mac and hold the COMMAND and S keys together as soon as you hear the the start up chime. When the screen goes black and you start seeing text appear on screen, let go of the keys. 2) After a short period of time you will land at a command prompt (:/root#). At the command-line prompt, type: /sbin/fsck -fy and press Return.- - -“fsck” is a file system checker. It will run through a battery of tests, looking at different aspects of your file system. When it's done, it will normally produce one of two messages a) "The volume (name of your hard drive) appears to be OK If it states the above, then your drive is fine and you can simply type "reboot" at the prompt and press Return to restart your Mac and boot back to the Desktop. b) If fsck found any errors, it may have tried to correct them and will display this message: --FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED-- If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed at the beginning: /sbin/fsck -fy and Press Return. Keep repeating this until it reports your drive is OK. If by some reason you need to do the above more than 5 times, this indicates a more serious issue. At the very least, the hard drive needs to be formatted and OS X should be re-installed. However, assuming everything goes okay, type 'reboot' at the prompt and then press Return. See if you can log in normally. John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
followed the directions twice, mac said it was modified, reentered instructions, hd said to be okay. log in still doesn't work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I log in and desktop is blank
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, please boot into Safe Boot mode once more and let me know when you are there. John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
safe mode slowly loading up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
safe boot asking me to log in
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok... if you make it to the desktop; In the Finder, are you able to click the "Go" menu in the menu bar at the top of the screen and choose "Utilities"? John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
at utilities
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, are you able to start "Disk Utility"? If so, In the left hand sidebar, choose your Mac's Hard Drive (Usually "Macintosh HD"). On the right hand side of the page, click "Repair Disk Permissions" Once the process has completed, restart your Mac.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
repairing disk permissions
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Good luck. ;-) John