Richard, Apple Software Engineer
Experience:  IT Engineer for over 15 years
32989067

I lost everything on my 2009 MacBook Pro 15".how do I reset

Customer Question

I lost everything on my 2009 MacBook Pro 15".how do I reset it? please help
Category: Mac
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcomeJust to check, what do you mean with everything? You mean it will not start at all?Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it start, blue screen, apple logo on top left, system profiler File Edit View Window Helpthat's all I got
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there's nothing at the bottom to click on
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ThanksCan you power off the MacHold down SHIFT and with it held down, turn on the Mac and keep Shift held down until it has finished loading, then restart the mac and tell me if it is now functioning correctly please.Let me know the results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks.Can you power off the MacHold down SHIFT and with it held down, turn on the Mac and keep Shift held down until it has finished loading, then restart the mac and tell me if it is now functioning correctly please.Let me know the results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am using my desk top to communicate
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok.. but can you do the instructions I keep sending to you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, I am doing it right now
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank youPlease let me know the results
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it doesn't seems to work
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
So you turned the computer off.Held shift down, then turned on the computer with Shift still held down?That then happened?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the light blue screen re-appeared
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank youCan you do the following pleaseShut down your Mac.Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R. Turn on your Mac.Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.Release the keysTell me if it then starts correctly please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the screen brightens up, with the apple logo in the centre for a while,then the screen go back to light blue again
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Power off the macThen start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup. Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window choose Disk Utility from the Utilities windowClick the First Aid tab. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions. Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD"). Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk. When complete, tell me please if the computer now starts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I couldn't see any thing after the start up,the screen went blue again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the blue screen is flashing up every now and then
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks it confirms the issueIt is the hard drive or mainboard that has faulted (hardware fault). A corrupted install can cause this. But we have ruled this out by trying to repair it.I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the Mac to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
so,nothing else can be done
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No sorry, we have ruled out all software causes for this, the issue is hardware sorry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
If you need anything else, please let me knowAnd if you can please rate my service, that would be appreciated.Thank you