John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

I can't get my macbook to power up, except in safe mode. when

Customer Question

I can't get my macbook to power up, except in safe mode. when I just do the regular boot... chrome comes up, but just the bar across the top... help!
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Do you know which version of OS X you have installed? John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Version 10.6.8
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** have Chrome set to start automatically at login? Find it's icon in the Dock while in Safe Boot mode. Ctrl-click or Right-click on the icon and hover over "Options" in the pop-up menu. If there is a check mark next to "Open at Login" then please click it. Now, try restarting your Mac and see if the issue shows any improvement. John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no improvement...
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I'm sorry to hear that. In Safe Boot mode, open System Preferences Open Accounts Choose your account in the sidebar at the left and then choose "Login items" tab at the right. So you see Chrome listed? If so, select it and click the "-" button immediately below the listing to delete Chrome from the login items. Note: you may need to click the yellow padlock and supply your account password ***** make changes. When finished, restart and see if there is improvement. John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, that didn't work either..
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, very curious. To confirm, when you boot up normally the menu bar at the top of the screen clearly says "Chrome"? John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure that it pre-loads to Chrome...
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so what does the menu bar say at top left of screen next to Apple logo? John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i started firefox up... let me restart and see what comes up so I tell you what it actually is...
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok John, it fires up in safe mode with Finder
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok but what does it do in normal mode? Your original message said "when I just do the regular boot... chrome comes up, but just the bar across the top" and then later said you weren't sure. So I'm just trying to clarify. John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Never paid much attention...I usually have to hit the chrome icon to open...so I'd say finder, normally. Sorry!
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
I think we are getting our wires crossed. :-p If you restart right now, but don't use Safe Boot mode, how far does it get and what do you see? John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't get past the galaxy backdrop...no bars nothing...
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, Boot into Safe Boot mode and run the following utility. It's possible a bit of adware has caused an issue. If not we will explore other avenues. Please download AdwareMedic at the following link:http://www.adwaremedic.com/index.php It removes all known adware from your Mac. It is very simple to use, and should clean up your system in less than a minute, from start to finish. Just open the app, click the Scan for Adware button, and remove anything that is detected. Let me know the results once the scan is finished. John