Jason Jones, Mac Technician
Experience:  Several years of supporting Mac systems.
30759776

Chose not to save the changes to an Excel 2011

Customer Question

I chose not to save the changes to an Excel 2011 for Mac file I edited today by mistake (I really thought I did but the changes are definitely not saved). I also renamed the file after I closed it without saving changes. Is there any way to get those changes back?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
No not if you actually told it not to save them, sorry.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
Sometimes the computer actually does what we tell it never at the right time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is actually incorrect. I discovered that using data rescue software like the trial version of Data Rescue 3 (you get one free retrieved file and 10 previews of files with the trial), you can retrieve autosaved versions of a file in a situation like this by searching for deleted files. It pieces together old autosaves of your file, and though the recovered file won't have the same name, it will end with .xls and you can find the file you want if don't have too many recovered .xls files and/or you know the approximate size of your missing file.
Expert:  Mike replied 2 years ago.
I have never had any luck using recovery software for Office files that were either not saved and named of course or even files that were incorrectly saved or not saved after they have been saved once. Not without a Time Machine backup. And I have tried many, many times. So that is why I still say no. All the more power to you if you are successful. I'll opt out.
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 2 years ago.
Hello,My name is Jason. I look forward to helping you today. Were you able to recover the file with your trial version of Data Rescue 3?Thank you,Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** *****'m all set.
Thank you