Johnny  Mack
Johnny Mack, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  6 years repairing macs and ipods and 3rd level tech support
28647879

A I HAVE PROBLEMS WITH MY MAC: IT´S TOO SLOW, I KNOW THAT I HAVE SMALL SPACE IN THE ST

Customer Question

HI A I HAVE PROBLEMS WITH MY MAC:
IT´S TOO SLOW, I KNOW THAT I HAVE SMALL SPACE IN THE START MOTION
I INSTAL THE MAC KEEPER AND DESINSTALLED, BUT I STILL HAVE POP UPS EVERY WHERE, CHROME AND SAFARI.
I USE SERIESDANKO TO DOWNLOAD FILMS , I PAID FOR UPLOADED SERVER.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Johnny Mack replied 1 year ago.
Hello there! Mac keeper is spamware and should of not been installed on your system. We will need to do a couple of things to get your mac working correctly.

first get a some kind of malware remover below is mcaffes its free to use and should remove the rest of the mac keeper files

http://promos.mcafee.com/offer.aspx?id=832559

If MacKeeper is running, quit it. From the sidebar in any Finder window, choose your hard disk icon and go to your Library folder. Look in the Application Support folder for the folder inside it called ‘MacKeeper’. (If you’re using FastTasks 2 or DetectX, just double click the item in the list and it will open the correct Finder window. To save repetition, repeat this for each MacKeeper file shown in the Analyser):

/Library/Application Support/MacKeeper

Click on the folder once.

TM Step
If you are using Time Machine do the TM Step now.

Enter Time Machine via the TM icon on your menubar at the top of your screen.
Click the little gear/cog in the Finder window and choose ‘delete all backups of xxx file’.
Enter your Admin password ***** confirm the delete. Exit Time Machine and then…

If you don’t use TM or after you have completed the TM step, hold down the ‘command’ key and press the ‘delete’ key once to send the file to the trash.

2. Still in Library, look for and trash any of these you find in the same way, remembering if you have Time Machine to do the TM step first in each case:

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.zeobit.MacKeeper.AntiVirus

/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.zeobit.MacKeeper.plugin.AntiTheft.daemon

3. If you are using OS X Lion 10.7 or later, use the ‘Go’ menu in Finder’s menubar and hold down the ‘option’ key. Choose ‘Library’ from the menu (yes, this is a different Library folder from the one you were just in). If you are using Snow Leopard or Leopard, just click on the little ‘Home‘ icon in the Finder sidebar and navigate to the Library. Then trash any and all of these that you find, remembering to do the TM step (if applicable) first in each case:

Home/Library/Caches/com.zeobit.MacKeeper

Home/Library/Caches/com.zeobit.MacKeeper.Helper

Home/Library/LaunchAgents/com.zeobit.MacKeeper.Helper

Home/Library/LaunchAgents/com.zeobit.MacKeeper.plugin.Backup.agent

Home/Library/Preferences/com.zeobit.MacKeeper.plist

Home/Library/Preferences/com.zeobit.MacKeeper.Helper.plist

If you’re not using FastTasks 2 or DetectX, be careful not to delete the wrong files: only those that have got the words ‘zeobit’, ‘MacKeeper’, ‘911’ or ‘911bundle’ should be trashed.

The following steps will need to be done manually, even if you are using FastTasks 2 or DetectX:

4. Go to Applications > Utilities > Keychain Access.app and double click on it. Notice the padlock in the window is up there on the left, rather than down the bottom. Click on it and enter your admin password. Now go through all the items in the ‘Keychains‘ list (such as Login, System, Root) with ‘All items’ selected in the ‘Category’ list. Anything you find related to ‘MacKeeper’ or ‘zeobit’, click on it, then choose Edit > Delete from the menu.
(Thanks to Al for also mentioning this point in the Comments below! :) ).

5. Open the Activity Monitor utility (Applications>Utilities>Activity Monitor.app), make sure ‘All Processes’ is showing in the drop down menu just over on the right of the dialogue box, then scroll down the list and see if any processes called ‘MacKeeper’, ‘zeobit’ or ‘911 bundle’ are still running. Older versions of MacKeeper may have a ‘WINE’ process running, so also look for ‘wine’. Anything you find, click on it and hit ‘Quit Process’ (top left).

6. Go to your Applications folder from a Finder window and select MacKeeper (if you have Time Machine, do the TM step now). Then, hold down ‘command’ and press ‘delete’ once. If you assigned MacKeeper to be pinned in the Dock, be sure to also drag the icon off the Dock and release it anywhere over the desktop. It will, satisfyingly, disappear in the ‘poof’ of a cloud. :D

7. When you’re done filling up your trash can with all this junk, click on the Finder> Empty Trash.

8. Go to

 > System Preferences > Users & Groups (or ‘Accounts’ for Snow L) | Login Items

If you see anything to do with MacKeeper in the list of items there, highlight it, then click the little minus ‘-‘ button near the bottom of the list.

9. Restart your Mac. Everything should be back to normal, but check the Activity Monitor one last time to be sure.

10. After restart, be sure to fix your system permissions. If you encounter any problems that you did not have before, fix the ACLs too.

**If you are running a clone, remember to follow the instructions given above under “Preparation: Clones”.**

Supplementary: If you have a problem with MacKeeper pop-ups while using your browser, try clearing out the caches, like this:

In Safari menubar, choose ‘Safari > Reset Safari’. Make sure all the options are checked.

then

turn off mac
2. Locate CMD and R keys
3. Turn on mac holding the keys from step 2
4. use disk utility to repair hard drive. Then reset.