John T. F., Mac Druid
Experience:  20+ years in the computer/Mac industry
60674955

Taking 10 minutes to boot up my I Mac

Customer Question

Taking 10 minutes to boot up my I Mac
Category: Mac
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Can you tell me the exact version of OS X you are currently running, please? Click the Apple logo in the menu bar at the top left of the screen Select "About This Mac" In the window that opens, look for the "Version" information. Please let me know what it says. Thanks,John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think it is 10.6.8

IM(###) ###-####B00

SMC Version 1.64f5

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks!Did this happen suddenly?John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes i changed from a wireless keyboard to a usb keyboard and it seemed to start after that when i tried to boot up. I reinstalled the wireless keyboard but the problem still persists.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, Restart your Mac As soon as you hear the Startup chime, press and hold the SHIFT key Continue to hold the Shift key until you see the Apple logo and progress indicator. Then, let go of the Shift key and let it boot to the Desktop (it may take longer than usual so please be patient).When you are at the desktop, restart and let it boot normally.If start up is still slow, then please let me know.John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

which one is the shift key

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
It should be labeled "Shift" and it may have an up arrow on it. It's the same key you use to make a upper case letter.John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok will try and will revert

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Good luck!John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seems to still be taking a long time to boot up but will wait till done then what?
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Do you still have your original OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard disc handy for troubleshooting purposes?John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still not working rebooting again. Not sure what to do
Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Please try the following. If you have any questions, just let me know. 1) Restart your Mac and hold the COMMAND and S keys together as soon as you hear the the start up chime. When the screen goes black and you start seeing text appear on screen, let go of the keys. 2) After a short period of time you will land at a command prompt (:/root#). At the command-line prompt, type: /sbin/fsck -fy and press Return.- - -“fsck” is a file system checker. It will run through a battery of tests, looking at different aspects of your file system. When it's done, it will normally produce one of two messages a) "The volume (name of your hard drive) appears to be OK If it states the above, then your drive is fine and you can simply type "reboot" at the prompt and press Return to restart your Mac and boot back to the Desktop. b) If fsck found any errors, it may have tried to correct them and will display this message: --FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED-- If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed at the beginning: /sbin/fsck -fy and Press Return. Keep repeating this until it reports your drive is OK. If by some reason you need to do the above more than 5 times, this indicates a more serious issue. At the very least, the hard drive needs to be formatted and OS X should be re-installed. However, assuming everything goes okay, type 'reboot' at the prompt and then press Return.John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi John

I tried everything you had suggested.

The message :file system was modified: appeared 3 times and i typed in reboot to start. I think the operating system needs to be re installed. Can I do this from the net and if so will i loose anything on the computer. I have 33000 photos as well as all my mail and documents saved.

I await your reply.

Tks

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Did it never say drive was OK?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No it never did. What would happen if i download latest version of OS X would this not fix the problem.

Tks

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
No it would not. In fact it might make it worse doing a straight install. Can you back up any important data before we continue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have an external hard drive but am not sure how to copy all info ie docs mail pics etc to the hard drive. Can you help me i have copied only 27000 photos out of 33000 across to the hard drive.

I would want to make a complete backup of the desktop before we start reinstalling the new operating system.

Can we talk on face time or whats app

Expert:  John T. F. replied 1 year ago.
Hi,if you plug in the external drive then you should be able to use it to make a complete back up using Time Machine as long as it is large enough.Open System PreferencesClick Time Machineswitch Time Machine to ON and select the option to Show Time Machine in Menu bar.Close System PreferencesClick the Time Machine icon in the menu bar at the upper right ear the clock and choose Back up now.Once it has completed we can continue.