Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment
19897260

My hard drive failed (bad sectors). The Apple store replaced

My hard drive failed (bad sectors). The Apple store replaced the hard drive and loaded 10.6.8. I bought a SATA docking station and recovered every fie on the old drive with one exception - the photos that were stored in iPhoto. When I try to open iphoto on the old drive I get a message that the volume is locked and to retry when I have access. Can you suggest how I can retrieve those photos and/or events?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 9 months ago.
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today!

If you control click on the iphoto library folder.. And then get info..

Add your current mac user with permissions to read and write.. Once thats done..

Try to make a copy of the iphoto libray.. ( dont try to open it )

Then, move that copy onto your internal hard drive.. And then you should be able to select it by holding down option in iphoto, selecting the library and opening it to view the pictures.

The key is, we want to make sure you have read and write permission, and then copy the file onto your internal hard drive.. ( since that was a failing hard drive previously, we dont want to leave the data on it)

If you run into any issues, send a detailed reply and I will continue to assist you further as needed.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent below when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Let me try that. I just hooked up the SATA. I am sure I will need more help...

Expert:  Dustin replied 9 months ago.
Not a problem Chris.. Take your time.

If we cant make progress with written communication, we always have the screen sharing option we can fall back on.

D.S
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Now I get a message that I can't open ...using this version of iPhoto due to upgrade,. "You have made changes using a newer version of iphoto. " Please quit and open using the newer version.

I think it wants me to use the new iphoto to access the library on the old hard drive but I don't know how. I open the new iphoto and need help accessing the library on the old hard drive...

Expert:  Dustin replied 9 months ago.
Question Chris.

Did we move ( copy ) the old library, onto the internal hard drive of your mac ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.

No. Before, I tried to open the old iphoto app and got a pop up showing the library in a box. Now I do not. Where do I find the library on the old hard drive? "There is nothing in the Library folder labelled "iphoto."

Expert:  Dustin replied 9 months ago.

The iphoto library, should be in your picture folder on the old hard drive.

Home>picture> iPhoto Library

You dont neccesarily need the iphoto library folder.. If you copy over the entire picture folder..

You should then be able to add those pictures to your new iphoto library.. ( the key is, copying the files over onto the new hard drive )

If you run into issues, let me know.

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I wish I could e-mail you quicker. while you were away I found the iphoto library and am copying it to the desktop on the new computer. About 9 minutes to go...

Expert:  Dustin replied 9 months ago.
Excellent.. All we should have to do.. Is add that folder to iphoto on your mac.. And all your pictures should be back in place..

Of course.. You would have to separate those pictures into folders / albums again.. (unless you want to open the photo library, and drag and drop the photo folders from the old library to the new library one at a time, manually creating a matching folder title in your new iphoto library, for each individual folder from the old drive, prior to dragging and dropping the folder.)

I'll be tsanding by in case you need further assistance..

Dustin S.

Dustin, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 4 Years in the US Military working with Mac's and networking equipment