Dustin, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Over a decade putting the missing byte back into Apple. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My screen does not light up. Power is on. HDMI connected to

My screen does not light up. Power is on. HDMI connected to MacBook Pro. Laptop doesn't seem to recognize monitor
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today!

You mentioned that you already tried a new power supply and HDMI cable.. Did you install the new power supply into the macbook, or the samsung monitor ?

Also, have you tried testing the Samsung monitor with a different computer?

Thank you ahead of time for your patience, and I look forward to assisting you.

Dustin S.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I replaced the power cable for the monitor. As I look more closely I can see the monitor is dimly lit up. I have to shine a flashlight on it to see that there is something on the screen but it isn't bright enough to read. I believe I adjusted the brightness of the monitor to maximum using the controls on the monitor panel.

Thanks Andrew, thats good information you passed along..

Another question, have you tried connecting that monitor to a different mac or pc? ( just to see if it was showing up better )

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes tried that sorry forgot to mention it

And when you tried the other computers, was it still just as dark?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes

That tells us that the backlight has went out then.. Since you can barely see the writing when you shine a very very bright light on it, and you have the brightness all the way up..

Your backlight has failed.. The samsung monitor you have is LCD backlit, so what has failed is the LCD backlight inverter board.. You can purchase the part here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAMSUNG-BACKLIGHT-INVERTER-BOARD-BN44-00312A-LS23EFPKFKD-ZA-XL2370-1-LS23EFPKFKB-/181152918047

This is not an easy repair to make.. And if you take this into a technicians shop, they would charge approximately 75$ to 100$ to repair the monitor, and thats if you brought the part with you. I dont normally suggest replacing equipment outright, this is one of the few times that my suggestion would be an outright replacement.

Unless the monitor is under a year old, in that case I would contact samsung immediately and start a warranty claim. But other then that I would consider replacing the screen. Here are a couple suggestions.

http://amzn.to/1b8PDBK

or

http://amzn.to/I41IvN

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent below when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.