Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

Help! I am a 68 year old grandmother and not very computer

Help! I am a 68 year old grandmother and not very computer literate. My daughter in law set up my iPad and I love playing games on it. I downloaded an update and at the end it asked for my password. I don't have clue what the password XXXXX I tried resetting and guessing for passwords and now I am locked out of the iPad with the message that the iPad is disabled and to go to iTunes. I have never been to iTunes so I don't think I have an account there. I am going through game withdrawal today and would like to get back on my iPad. Help!!!!
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Do you have access to a computer with internet connection now ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes

Linda I will walk you through the steps. Before we start, I want to tell you something. Your iPad is permanently disabled, so we have to restore it from iTunes on your computer. Unfortunately, this will erase everything from your iPad as that is your only way to fix the problem. I will walk you through the instructions to get it back working. Are you ready to continue ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will lose my pictures, games everything? Is there no other way to get it to work? If I took it to the Apple store could they restore it without losing everything?

Yes, you will lose everything. There is no way to get it to work. Apple could not help you because once the iPad is disabled, everything is already lost. It is a security method implemented by Apple.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok, lets get going then.......

First, download and install latest iTunes on your PC from here : http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Let me know once you did that, so we can move to next step

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Tried to download iTunes and was told I already have it. Went into control panel and found out I did have it. Grandchildren must have added it. Anyway have iTunes so what do I do next?

Now, we need to restore your iPad (by putting it to DFU Mode) using the iTunes application on your PC. Open iTunes and then follow the steps below exactly

• Connect the iPad to your computer with the USB Cable.
  • Open iTunes application on your computer if not already.
  • On your iPad Press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.
  • After EXACTLY 8 seconds release the Power button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPad in recovery mode.
  • Click OK or Restore.

This will restore your iPad's OS to fresh one. Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.