Cris, Mac Specialist
Experience:  4 years Mac Specialist, Apple Certified.

My iPad keeps freezing up on me and I have to do a power reset

My iPad keeps freezing up on me and I have to do a power reset to get up and running again. Most of the time it freezes after being idle for a while. The screen will be black or it will not take a command when you touch the screen. That is when I have to perform a power reset.

Thanks for asking your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be glad to assist you.

Have you tried to reset the iPad back to factory settings? This could be a software issue
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I have tried the reset to factory settings.

If you have already tried the factory reset then your issue is hardware.

Most likely a failing motherboard on your iPad. How long have you had the device?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
18 months

Unfortunately this is past Apple's 1-year warranty. The problem you are facing is hardware which is not fixable instead your device would have to be replaced.

However, Apple is very good with one-time replacement with problematic devices. Please give them a call at 800-275-2273. There is a possibility you can have it replaced at no cost or a reduced cost for trade in.

Let me know if you have any further questions BEFORE selecting any negative rating. I will answer your follow ups.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is it possible I have a bad application that would cause this to happen? I didn't have this problem until after the 7.02 software update.
Did it happen after the full reset?

After a reset all of the apps would be wiped out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Rethinking this issue I believe the shutdowns started after the 7.00 software update. I tried the full reset and had to re-install all of my apps.
I would try a full reset and don't restore any apps or from iCloud.

Try to run the iPad for awhile with the minimum. Install 1 or 2 apps after some time passing without it freezes. This can determine if it is a app.

If is starts to freeze after a reset and no apps then you have a hardware problem.

Let me know if you have any further questions.