jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ Comptia Certified computer repair

How can friend retrieve photos from iPhoto Library i recover

a friend's mac pro crashed and they replaced her HD with a new one and told her the original drive was corrupt and nothing could be saved. She took the old drive back and asked me to try. I work on windows machines and used a repair/recovery program i use commercially and was able to locate all her important files. She has everything back on a thumb drive including a folder called Pictures which contains several photo folders and a .Trash folder ajd a folder called iPhoto Library with subfolders.. Can her repaired machine get the photos from that folder? I have little experience with iPhoto and do not have her computer at the moment but will tomorrow.

Category: Mac
Expert:  jstinehelfer replied 8 months ago.

jstinehelfer :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I understand technology can be frustrating at times and hopefully together we can come up with a solution to your problem.

jstinehelfer :

FYI I am a PC/MAC person so I am lucky to know both sides

Customer:

Sorry i was trying to edit my original request to provide more info

jstinehelfer :

Basically you have the photo's on a flash drive correct

Customer:

i hope so - i recovered her user files including desktop files, documents etc. she can use everything I recovered except can't find iPhoto fpictures.

jstinehelfer :

You can try to import them in to Iphoto and see if Iphoto will pick them up

Customer:

Note i am looking at all this currently on a windows machine

Customer:

thanks for the link. I see no files in that folder but do see a database which I assume hold them somehow

jstinehelfer :

If they are there Iphoto will import them just point to the folder

Customer:

ok which folder? The iPhoto Library?

jstinehelfer :

yes on the flash drive

Customer:

I haate to sounds dumb but everyone thinks I'm a computer expert and I'm pretty good with windows and OLD mac stuff from about 9.0!

jstinehelfer :

10 is no different really

jstinehelfer :

the logic of folders is the same as windows just in different places

Customer:

I tried to read up on this but apparently they changed from folders to a database that contains the files but I had no knowledge on how to retrieve them. I found no other pictures anywhere on the disk

jstinehelfer :

Iphoto hides them

Customer:

i have the thumb drive again and she is bringing me the machine tomorrow so I can do this - just hope it works

jstinehelfer :

you cant look at them via Finder which in the windows world would be Explorer

Customer:

is it likely that i got them during the recovery then?

jstinehelfer :

Sounds like it from your description

Customer:

i found no disk file damage other than the operating system which apparently was corupt

jstinehelfer :

including a folder called Pictures which contains several photo folders and a .Trash folder ajd a folder called iPhoto Library with subfolders

jstinehelfer :

that statement makes me think you did

jstinehelfer :

Question is did you format the thumb drive to work on PC and a Mac?

Customer:

whew. Can i continue this if needed tomorrow when I actually have the machine? i hope it goes well but will have no idea what to do if there is an error message

jstinehelfer :

Basically it is a cut and dry thing. Either it will import it or wont import it.

Customer:

hmmm. It is formatted ntfs I think. Her mac was able to read off all the other folders ok

Customer:

its a 32gb usb3 thumb drive

jstinehelfer :

That is cool then. Its been a while since I had a brand new mac

jstinehelfer :

Just plug the USB drive in

jstinehelfer :

Open Iphoto

Customer:

properties reports it as fat32

jstinehelfer :

Import with the directions I gave you. Go to the Iphoto library and import

Customer:

OK you are the boss - will give it a try. will get back to you on how it went

jstinehelfer :

FAT32, is fully compatible with Mac OS X

Customer:

for some reason i had it in my head that fat32 could not be used on a drive that size

jstinehelfer :

what size?

jstinehelfer :

Cant go over 32Gig

Customer:

32gb

jstinehelfer :

32Gb and under is good

Customer:

ok must have been thinking of my other thumb drive that is 64gb - need these things to transfer files at times

Customer:

thanks for that link - it is very good

jstinehelfer :

Your Welcome

Customer:

one more thing - sorry. If it doesn't import is there anything else that can be done?

jstinehelfer :

About?

jstinehelfer :

moving the photo's

Customer:

yes

jstinehelfer :

No it is straight forward really

Customer:

because in the iphoto folder all i can see is 4 folders attachments auto import contents and database

jstinehelfer :

If I was in your shoes I would open iphoto and choose the import option. Point to the Iphoto folder on the flash drive and see if they will come in. You will have to check and see if it pulls all the subfolders in.

jstinehelfer :

Like I said you cant view the pictures directly

jstinehelfer :

Think of it as an Access Database and only Microsoft Access can view the database

Customer:

wow - the database has 67mb of stuff in it so i'm optimistic

jstinehelfer :

Yes sounds like a lot of photo's

Customer:

that is why she's so upset

Customer:

ok won't bother you anymore until after I've tried this

jstinehelfer :

All is good. I have faith in you.

jstinehelfer :

this is worst scenario but do not take the worst as a bad thing. It is actually a great tool

jstinehelfer :

Iphoto Library rebuild

jstinehelfer :

that should give you enough reading

Customer:

yep thanks

jstinehelfer :

you can always come back for follow up questions even after giving me a good rating.

If you are happy with my work please take the time and give me a good rating. I appreciate your business. If you need any help in the future you can go to http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-john-stinehelfer/ and reach me there. Thank you for using JustAnswer we value your business. Please have a wonderful day

jstinehelfer, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: A+ Comptia Certified computer repair
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.