jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ Comptia Certified computer repair
63323962

I am unable to open Microsoft Word apps. Each time I try to

I am unable to open Microsoft Word apps. Each time I try to relaunch, it says to relaunch again. The computer is a Macbook Pro, and I bought everything in 2008. Called Microsoft and they said they support 2011 and said to write here.

Thank you.

Joanne Banarer XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Mac
Expert:  jstinehelfer replied 10 months ago.

jstinehelfer :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today. I understand technology can be frustrating at times and hopefully together we can come up with a solution to your problem.

jstinehelfer :

I understand your having problems with launching any Microsoft Office Applications

jstinehelfer :

Can you tell me what version of Microsoft Office you are using?

Customer:

I'm not sure but I think it's the 2008 Word. I bought the Mac in 2008 and they installed Word at the time.

jstinehelfer :

do you only have Word or do you have any other version of Office installed

Customer:

Excel and Power Point were part of the package.

jstinehelfer :

Do they open or all of them not opening

Customer:

Microsoft messenger is also at the bottom of my screen right now.

Customer:

None of them are opening.

jstinehelfer :

Ok give me a few moments to do a little research if you do not mind. I will be right back]

Customer:

Thank you. Everything worked fine yesterday, and I have never had this problem before.

jstinehelfer :

Ok I have found a Microsoft Support Article I want you to work through and see if this will get you going

jstinehelfer :

that will open up in a new window so I wont loose you.

Customer:

I emailed the article to myself, but I don't see where it is opening in a new window. There are quite a few steps in that article.

jstinehelfer :

It is one of those fix all articles

jstinehelfer :

Start from the top and work you way down

jstinehelfer :

a lot of times you can remove the plist file and it usually fixes it.

Customer:

What is the plist file?

jstinehelfer :

If you go to the Apple and choose Force Quit what do you see in there

jstinehelfer :

A plist file is a preference file. Apple OS is built on Plist files for everything.

jstinehelfer :

most the time you remove a plist file then restart the application is recreates a new plist file. You can almost say self healing

Customer:

Firefox, system profiler, finder, etc.

jstinehelfer :

So nothing with Office then. No preview etc?

Customer:

No office or preview. There is a preview icon at the bottom on my Mac.

jstinehelfer :

sounds like its not running at the moment which is good

jstinehelfer :

1. On the Go menu, click Home.

2. Open Library.
    Note The Library folder is hidden in MAC OS X Lion. To display this folder, hold down the OPTION key while you click the Go menu.

3. Open the Preferences folder.

4. Look for a file that is named com.microsoft.Word.plist.

jstinehelfer :

let me know if you see the com.microsoft.Word.plist and one for publisher and excel

Customer:

Where is the go menu?

jstinehelfer :

should be up by the apple

jstinehelfer :

jstinehelfer :

did you find it?

Customer:

I can't get to the library part.

jstinehelfer :

which version of Mac OSX do you have?

Customer:

I think it's the leopard.

jstinehelfer :

go to the apple and choose about this mac

Customer:

10.5.8

Customer:

Does this version make a difference in finding the library?

jstinehelfer :

I am trying to find that out now

jstinehelfer :

Your preferences are in the following location:
Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences

jstinehelfer :

let me know if this is it

Customer:

How do I find this location on the computer? Home?

jstinehelfer :

Finder

jstinehelfer :

open finder

jstinehelfer :

then Go shows up

Customer:

I found the com.microsoft word plist, but not sure how to get back to it. what should i do when i find it again?

jstinehelfer :

Drag it to your desktop

jstinehelfer :

click hold drag to the desktop and let go

jstinehelfer :

Once you move the word plist file then try to launch word again

Customer:

It still doesn't open. The microsoft was play/ready. Didn't see anything that said Microsoft word.

jstinehelfer :

so you found the com.microsoft.word.plist file and dragged it to your desktop and it still will not launch

Customer:

I found microsoft play ready plist-

jstinehelfer :

that is not it.

Customer:

When I click on desktop, the same comment comes up for word.

Customer:

It says word document quit unexpectedly.

jstinehelfer :

did you move that file microsoft play ready plist?

jstinehelfer :

if so put it back.

jstinehelfer :

we need to find the right plist file

Customer:

I moved it to desktop.

jstinehelfer :

com.microsoft.Word.plist file?

jstinehelfer :

Ok lets think about this from another angle

jstinehelfer :

Do you have the office cd 2008 and product key code?

Customer:

Where would that be? I don't have the original box anymore. Also I moved it back to the library, I thought but I heard a puff and can't find it now.

jstinehelfer :

Ok back to the plist

jstinehelfer :

1. Quit all Microsoft Office for Mac programs.

2. On the Go menu, click Home.

3. Open Library.

4. Open the Preferences folder.

5. Open the Microsoft folder.

6. Locate the file that is named com.microsoft.Word.prefs.plist.

jstinehelfer :

Open finder to get the Go menu

Customer:

I don't have any microsoft office for mac programs that I can see now. No power point, excel, or word to open so I can quit them.

jstinehelfer :

let me know when you find the com.microsoft.Word.prefs.plist.

Customer:

I haven't seen it. It might be better if I take this to a computer place that works with Microsoft because this doesn't seem to be working. I know you are trying, but I cannot find the com.microsoft... anywhere.

jstinehelfer :

did you try the trick in the Youtube video

Customer:

I'll go back to look at the video now.

jstinehelfer :

look at that and see if that helps

Customer:

I watched it, tried it again,still nothing. I will find a place that works with microsoft and take it in. Thank you for trying, though.

jstinehelfer :

I am sorry you could not get this going

Customer:

Me, too. Thank you.

jstinehelfer :

Your welcome. You have a great evening

jstinehelfer :

If you are happy with my work please take the time and give me a good rating. I appreciate your business. If you need any help in the future you can go to http://www.justanswer.com/computer/expert-john-stinehelfer/ and reach me there. Thank you for using JustAnswer we value your business. Please have a wonderful day

jstinehelfer :

Thank you for the good rating

Customer:

You're welcome. Hope I can get this fixed soon!

jstinehelfer :

so do I

jstinehelfer, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: A+ Comptia Certified computer repair
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.