Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

I use a Macbook pro and a large retina display monitor. When

I use a Macbook pro and a large retina display monitor. When I put my computer in sleep mode and disconnect from the display the computer goes to sleep properly; however, it wakes up while in my computer bag and apparently keeps running until it becomes very hot. My bag is not vented so when I take it out of my bag it's hot and the fan is running. Any way to keep that from happening outside of shutting it completely down. Also, when I disconnect from the monitor I can't get the normal display back on the laptop, it only has the screen saver image and I have to reboot...any way to stop that?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.

Hello Hector, my name is Dan.
I will do my best to help you, the only stupid question is the unasked one.

Do you use this as a dual display or the monitor is the main display?
WHat version od OS X is on the MBP?
How do you put it to sleep?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes. I use it as a dual monitor. version 10.85

Expert:  Daniel replied 10 months ago.
I suggest resetting the SMC (System Management Controller).

1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if it's not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    Note
    : The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.
Also a pram reset won't hurt.

To do a PRAM reset, you need to restart your machine and hold down these 4 keys all together at the same time.
‘Option’, ‘Command (Cloverleaf or Apple)’, ‘R’ and 'P' all together at the same time.
Keep them down until you hear 4 startup chimes, this is the sound that your computer makes when it starts up, it is like a boonngg. The screen should also cycle from white to black and then back to white along with the chimes.
The sound should also get louder.

graphicLOL yeah there

This resets all of the system buses on your computer, USB, FireWire, display, ethernet and your keyboard/mouse/trackpad.
This will correct many faults but not necessarily yours.

Then repair permissions.

Repairing Permissions

The SMC is the one that will have the most affect on this issue. The others are more maintenance than a fix but will help performance.

Try those and let me know.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience: Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.