Justin, Network Admin
Experience:  10+ years IT experience (Corporate Network Administration),

I hit something which made all the letters become big and now

I hit something which made all the letters become big and now when I start the iPad all of the applications do not show and I cant see the lower apps such as mail etc-help! I am 71 and frustrated! Thanks.

Greetings and welcome to Justanswer.

It sounds like you may have enabled zoom.
Using your three fingers (index, middle and ring finger) double tap the screen. This should deactive the zoom and bring the side back to normal.
Alternatively if that gesture doesn't work, tap the home key three times in rapid succession which is another shortcut to disable and enable zoom.
To disable this in the future, so it doesn't happen again. Go to settings > General > Zoom (on the right) and you can turn it off.
Please remember to rate once we've resolved the issue. If not, simply use the reply/continue button and I will troubleshot further with you. Thank you