Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc

My Macintosh (OSX 10.8.5), when attempting to update Office

My Macintosh (OSX 10.8.5), when attempting to update Office for Mac ( a .pkg file) opens it with TextEdit instead of whatever the correct application should be.

What should be app for .pkg files?

How do i prevent this from happening again
Hi and Welcome. My Name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

On your Mac, go to Mactinsh HD > System > Library > CoreService folder and can you see the in there >
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No. is not there

Hi Dave, the problem is that the Installer application was somehow deleted from your Mac. That is why you are unable to install the update. All applications of Mac OS X uses the Installer application to install. Now, I will send you a copy of Installer application from my Mac. Get it from here :

After downloading the above zip file, open it and you will get the Installer application. Move or copy that Installer application to Mactinsh HD > System > Library > CoreService folder. Then try to install the Office update.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

that works thanks.

You're most welcome Dave :)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

closing this out so the system doesn't continually remind me