Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

I have a relatively large iPhoto Library (219gb) on an external

Customer Question

I have a relatively large iPhoto Library (219gb) on an external drive. (Mac OS 10.8.5) If I select the "Last 12 Months" folder, it displays photos as expected. However, if I select "Last Import", I see the following message:

"This album is in the trash. Emptying the trash will delete this album, but not the items is contains." "To delete photos and movies, drag them to the trash or delete them from the events to which they belong."

I can switch to other libraries on my local drive, different libraries on the same external drive and there is no problem with the Last Import folder.

I have tried all the rebuilding routines to no avail. Something is obviously corrupt or in the wrong place. I've searched the internet and not had any luck finding a similar issue. Can anyone help?
Category: Mac
Expert:  jstinehelfer replied 8 months ago.

jstinehelfer :

Hello my name is John and I will be assisting you today. I understand technology can be frustrating at times and hopefully together we can come up with a solution to your problem.

Customer :

Hi There.

jstinehelfer :

I will have to say this seems like a different issue then I have ever seen

jstinehelfer :

Try emptying the iPhoto Trash via the iPhoto menu

Customer :

Ok. Did that.

jstinehelfer :

you did this before I when I told you to?

Customer :

I did it before, and I just did it again after you mentioned it.

jstinehelfer :

and if you look in the trash there is nothing there correct?

Customer :

Trash in Finder is empty. Empty Trash option in iPhoto is greyed out now. No Trash visible within iPhoto - correct.

jstinehelfer :

but yet the problem still remains?

Customer :

Yes, I even closed the app and reopened to be sure.

Customer :

Full Size Image

jstinehelfer :

that link did not work for some reason

jstinehelfer :

Do you happen to have Apple Care with your computer?

Customer :

Full Size Image

Customer :

Apple care? no

jstinehelfer :

whats under the recovered folder I see listed on the left

jstinehelfer :

I see a 1 beside it

Customer :

Yeah - there are two of those recovered Folders. Each has a "Recovered Photos" inside. One has 1 photo, and another has 3 photos in it.

jstinehelfer :

was those in there before?

jstinehelfer :

Can you do another import of something and see if it will get rid of the problem?

Customer :

I did another import just now to no avail. The photos arrive in my library, and show in the 12 months, but not in last import. It's almost like the Last Import folder is corrupt or missing or?

jstinehelfer :

I can find a solution for if the last 12 months not working

jstinehelfer :

but that does not help us here

Customer :

I think those have something to do with Aperture. I removed the photos in there and tried to delete those folders and was met with a dialog saying to use Aperture to delete them.

jstinehelfer :

Under iphoto prefs is there anything that you can change that has to do with last import settings?

Customer :

I'll look

Customer :

I checked all prefs. Toggled a few - but none involve Last Import. Only how many months for the "12 Month" can be modified.

jstinehelfer :

some times when you make a prefs change it updates that section of the software.

jstinehelfer :

hmm

Customer :

I relaunched the app - no change. I think I'll need to think about this. Thanks anyway!

jstinehelfer :

Have you tried to use Disk Utility with Iphoto closed and repair permissions?

Customer :

Yes, on the internal and external volume.

jstinehelfer :

and i know you already rebuilt the library

Customer :

Sure did.

jstinehelfer :

Let me open this back up and see if another mac specialist can come up with an answer.

jstinehelfer :

Please stand by

Customer :

Thanks anyway. I've got to go.

jstinehelfer :

Hopefully another expert will have an answer for you.

Expert:  John T. F. replied 8 months ago.
Hello! My name is John, I will work diligently to provide accurate advice and information.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

What version of iPhoto is this, please?

Thanks,