Mike, Mac Medic
Experience:  Over 20 years IT experience with Apple computers in publishing, marketing and design.

forgot apple id password

Customer Question

forgot apple id password
Category: Mac
Expert:  Michelle replied 8 months ago.

Michelle :

Hi, and welcome! My name is XXXXXXXX XXX I am excited to get started with you.

To reset your Apple ID password, log onto https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid

Michelle :

Enter your Apple ID and follow the onscreen instructions

Michelle :

.

Michelle :

Please let me know if you need further assistance

Customer :

When I go into system preferences to go into parental controls it won't allow new password....??

Michelle :

Oh, I think you are referring to your computers password. The password XXX your apple ID and computer are completely different. You computers password XX XXX one when you enter to login, install new software, updates etc

Michelle :

Did you need to reset your computers password?

Customer :

yes....I need to get into icloud as I have lost my iphone....:( :(

Michelle :

Im soooo sorry to hear that. ok So you may need both password. Have you already reset your apple ID password XXXXX the link? If so Log onto https://www.icloud.com and enter your Apple ID (email address) and newly changed password

Customer :

yes already reset apple id password....when I do this, will this also be password XXX parental controls, etc.....??

Michelle :

No It will not, we will need to tackle that task when we are done with your apple ID

Customer :

OK!!! Friend just called and she has my phone....phew!!! Let's tackle password XXX parental controls, etc....

Michelle :

Yay!! So glad that had a happy ending. Before we reset your password, can you check if there is even a password XXX. When it ask for a password, press enter instead

Michelle :

If it shakes indicating that it is incorrect, we can reset it

Michelle :

Are you still there?

Michelle :

Have you already tried just hitting enter?

Customer :

yes...hold on a sec...

Customer :

it just comes up saying password XXXXXXXXX....

Michelle :

Ok lets reset it. You will need to be on another device or computer. What operating system are you running? To find this out, click on the apple logo in the upper left corner and choose about this mac. Read me the version number

Customer :

10.6.8

Michelle :

To reset your password XXXX 10.6.8, you will need to install disk. Would you happen to have it?

Customer :

no

Michelle :

Ok, we can still do it. Is there another computer you can chat from? Or iPad?

Customer :

no....can it be my iphone when i get it or can I use my dad's ipad...?

Michelle :

It can be on which ever device you prefer. Although your phone may be easier if your email is set up. You can click on the link sent from JustAnswer to pull up our chat

Customer :

ok...great....so in about an hour I will click on that email and you will help me or someone else...??

Michelle :

It will be me. If you like though, I can leave with step by step instructions that you can follow. If you get stuck, we can finish when you get your phone

Customer :

ok....sounds great!! I need to run out and will see your instructions when I get back!!! If I have a problem, I will ping you!!!!

Customer :

Thanks a million for your help Michelle!!!!

Michelle :

Sounds like a Plan! Bookmark this page first so its much easier to get back

Michelle :

You are very welcome! Chat with you soon :)

Michelle :

Here you go.. Give this a try and get back to me. If you are getting a command not found error after each command, you are not entering it in properly. Try again and make sure the spaces and uppercase letters are entered exactly how the instructions display

Michelle :

Step 1: Power on or restart your Mac.

At the chime (or grey screen if your chime is turned off), hold down Command+S on your keyboard to enter single-user mode. Continue to hold until a black screen with white text appear

Step 2: After root# XXXX mount -uw / and press Enter. (Note: There is a space between mount and -uw and /.. So it will look like this mount (space) -uw (space)/ (Press enter)

Step 3: Next, type launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist (Press Enter. (Note: There is a space between launcctl, load and /System. So it will look like this launchctl (space) load (space) /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.DirectoryServices.plist (Press Enter)

Step 4: Next, type ls /Users and press Enter. Not: There is a space between Is and /User. So it will look like this ls (space) /Users

This lists all of the usernames on the computer, locate yours and take note of it because you will need to type it in exactly how it appears

Step 5: Finally, type dscl . -passwd /Users/username password and replace “username” with the user name displayed in the previous step. Replace “password” with a new password XX your choice. Press Enter. Note: There are spaces…. dscl (space) . (space) passwd (space) /Users/username (Make sure you enter the username that was listed in place of username)

Type reboot and press Enter. Your computer will not reboot

Customer : Typing all in but when I got to Is /Users it says command not found...
Michelle :

Are you chatting from your phone?

Michelle :

I would like to walk you through step by step if you are on your phone now

Michelle :

You can skip that part if you know the username. Open finder, in the left column, you will see your account name next to the house icon

Michelle :

If you are still getting command not found, obtain your exact username by looking in the left column in finder. (the house icon) Repeat the above steps but skip step 4

Customer : I am on my phone now
Customer : computer just rebooted, but can't get in when it asks for my password
Michelle :

When you entered the above code, did it ask you to enter in a new password?

Michelle :

I would like to walk you through step by step. Can you boot into single user mode again and chat with me through your phone

Michelle :

Is your computer currently in single user mode?

Michelle :

Are you there?

Customer : So sorry!!!! Had to run my daughter some where...!!!! I have to go out as well, so will try you later.... I am in the Midwest and will be home around 9 ( it is 5:45 here now) what time zone are you in?? Or should it be better to connect tomorrow morning...??
Michelle :

Ok that is fine. It is 6:48pm over here in NY so it will be a little late. I am not sure if you got my last message, you can skip step 4 if you know your exact username. It is listed in finder in the left column (house icon). You can give me an update when you get back. I will check it tomorrow